Differentiating vector function [Mathematica]

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with differentiating a vector function in Mathematica. They mention that the function is tricky to differentiate by hand and provide the function itself as well as a known correct derivative from a paper they are basing their work on. They want to know how to show this equality in Mathematica and question the lack of gamma dependence in the derivation.
Phudge
Hi.
So I have this vector function which I need to differentiate, it is however very tricky to do by hand, so I'm doing it in Mathematica.
[tex]\hat{u}=\left\langle\bar{u}+\bar{r}\frac{(1+\gamma)}{r(r+\bar{u}\cdot \bar{r})}\right\rangle[/tex]
(The brackets denote normalisation)

I want to do this differentiation for the different components of r but first I want to show:

[tex]\frac{\partial\hat{u}}{\partial\gamma}=(\bar{r}-\bar{u}(\bar{u}\cdot\bar{r})\frac{1}{r(r+\bar{u}\cdot\bar{r})}[/tex]
which I know to be correct from the paper I am basing my work on.
So my question to you guys is, how would I show that equality in Mathematica?

Physics news on Phys.org
How come that there is no gamma dependence in you derivation?

Related to Differentiating vector function [Mathematica]

1. What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that maps a set of inputs to a corresponding set of outputs, where both the inputs and outputs are vectors. In other words, it takes in a vector as its input and produces a vector as its output.

2. How do I differentiate a vector function using Mathematica?

To differentiate a vector function in Mathematica, you can use the function D followed by the vector function and the variable you want to differentiate with respect to. For example, if the vector function is f[x_, y_] := {x^2, y^3}, then D[f[x, y], x] will give the derivative with respect to x.

3. Can I differentiate a vector function with multiple variables?

Yes, you can differentiate a vector function with multiple variables in Mathematica. You just need to specify which variable you want to differentiate with respect to using the D function. For example, D[f[x, y], x] will differentiate f with respect to x, while D[f[x, y], y] will differentiate f with respect to y.

4. How do I plot the derivative of a vector function in Mathematica?

To plot the derivative of a vector function in Mathematica, you can use the VectorPlot function. This function takes in the vector function and its derivative as arguments and will produce a plot of the vector field corresponding to the derivative.

5. Is it possible to differentiate a vector function numerically in Mathematica?

Yes, it is possible to differentiate a vector function numerically in Mathematica using the NDSolve function. This function can take in a vector function and numerically compute its derivative over a specified range of values. Additionally, you can use the ListVectorPlot function to visualize the resulting numerical derivative.