Vector distance and angle question

In summary: The total displacement is the magnitude of the vector drawn from the origin to the tip of the final (3rd) vector.
KevinFan

Homework Statement

Instructions for finding a buried treasure include the following: Go 65.0 paces at 249deg, turn to 134deg and walk 134 paces, then travel 101 paces at 168deg. The angles are measured counterclockwise from an axis pointing to the east, the +x direction. Determine the resultant displacement from the starting point. Enter the distance (without units) and the angle relative to the positive x-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the resultant displacement, I got R=sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2)= sqrt(65^2+249^2+134^2)=179.94
For the angle, I honestly don't have any clue...

Physics news on Phys.org
KevinFan said:

Homework Statement

Instructions for finding a buried treasure include the following: Go 65.0 paces at 249deg, turn to 134deg and walk 134 paces, then travel 101 paces at 168deg. The angles are measured counterclockwise from an axis pointing to the east, the +x direction. Determine the resultant displacement from the starting point. Enter the distance (without units) and the angle relative to the positive x-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the resultant displacement, I got R=sqrt(V1^2+V2^2+V3^2)= sqrt(65^2+249^2+134^2)=179.94
For the angle, I honestly don't have any clue...
On what basis do you think that your equation gives the correct displacement?

Chestermiller said:
On what basis do you think that your equation gives the correct displacement?
I am not too sure...
Maybe this equation is for distance. Could you please tell me what is the correct method for solving this question?

1. Have you drawn a diagram? If so, let's see it.
2. Do you know how to resolve a vector into its x and y components?

Chestermiller said:
1. Have you drawn a diagram? If so, let's see it.
2. Do you know how to resolve a vector into its x and y components?
Here is a rough diagram that I drawn.
I know how to resolve vector into x and y components.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 396
KevinFan said:
Here is a rough diagram that I drawn.
I know how to resolve vector into x and y components.
Very nice. Now what are the x and y components of each of the three successive displacement vectors?

Chestermiller said:
Very nice. Now what are the x and y components of each of the three successive displacement vectors?
Is the displacement the sum of x components vector?

KevinFan said:

Homework Equations

Ah, well there's your problem. Could you cut and paste the vanilla equations from the textbook, that you think should be applied to the specifics of the problem, into that big blank section ? Maybe annotate with what they are.

Nice diagram: you clearly understand the parameters as given (except that last angle thing, which arc is drawn from the y-axis instead of the x... but the line is pointed in the right direction)

KevinFan said:
Is the displacement the sum of x components vector?
The total displacement is the magnitude of the vector drawn from the origin to the tip of the final (3rd) vector.

Related to Vector distance and angle question

What is vector distance?

Vector distance is the length or magnitude of a vector. It represents the distance between the initial and final points of a vector in a specific direction.

How is vector distance calculated?

Vector distance is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the vector distance is equal to the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, it is the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's x, y, and z components.

What is the difference between vector distance and magnitude?

Vector distance is the actual physical length of a vector, while magnitude is a numerical value that represents the strength or size of a vector. Magnitude is always positive, while vector distance can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the vector.

What is vector angle?

Vector angle is the direction or orientation of a vector in relation to a reference axis. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the vector.

How is vector angle calculated?

Vector angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle can also be determined using the dot product of two vectors, which gives the angle between them.