Vector differential identities

In summary, the first identity uses the divergence theorem and is just a chain rule consequence of the second identity. The second identity uses the divergence theorem and is a simple chain rule consequence of the first identity.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Vector differential identities!

In chapter 20 of "Foundations of Electromagnetic theory" by Reitz,Milford and Christy,there is calculation which seems to make use of:[itex] \vec{\nabla}\times\dot{\vec{p}}=\Large{\frac{\vec{r}}{r}\times\frac{ \partial \dot{\vec{p}}}{\partial r}} [/itex] where [itex] \dot{\vec{p}}=\large{\frac{d}{d \tau}} \int_V \vec{r}'\rho(\vec{r}',t-\frac{r}{c})dv' \ (\tau=t-\frac{r}{c})[/itex].But I can't prove it and worse is that it seems to be inconsistent with the formula for curl in spherical coordinates.
There is also another identity mentioned in the problems of chapter 1 which seems as strange:
[itex]\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{F}(r)=\large{\frac{\vec{r}}{r}\cdot\frac{d\vec{F}}{dr}} [/itex]

Is there any suggestion?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second identity doesn't seem strange if there is no theta or phi component to F:
[tex]
\operatorname{div}\, \mathbf F
= \nabla\cdot\mathbf F
= \frac1{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 F_r) + \frac1{r\sin\theta} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} (\sin\theta\, F_\theta) + \frac1{r\sin\theta} \frac{\partial F_\phi}{\partial \phi}.
[/tex]

then it would reduce to:

[tex]
\operatorname{div}\, \mathbf F
= \nabla\cdot\mathbf F
= \frac1{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 F_r)
[/tex]

and then if it was a very large r value you'd be left with your identity.

Both are simple chain rule consequences, i'll
illustrate with the divergence since it's quicker
[tex] \nabla \cdot {\bf F}(r) = \sum_i \frac{\partial F_i(r)}{\partial x^i}
= \sum_i \frac{\partial F_i(r)}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x^i}[/tex]
now [itex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x^i}=\frac{x^i}{r} [/itex], so
[tex]
\nabla \cdot {\bf F}(r)
= \sum_i \frac{\partial F_i(r)}{\partial r} \frac{x^i}{r} = \frac{{\bf r}}{r} \cdot \frac{\partial {\bf F}(r)}{\partial r}.[/tex]

As an aside to get the result from the spherical formula you have to keep all three terms.
even though [itex]{\bf F}[/itex] only depends on [itex]r[/itex], when you break it into spherical
components, for example [itex]F_\theta = {\widehat \theta} \cdot {\bf F}[/itex], depends on
[itex]r, \theta[/itex] and [itex] \phi[/itex].

Related to Vector differential identities

1. What are vector differential identities?

Vector differential identities are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between vector operations such as gradient, divergence, and curl. They are used to simplify and solve complex vector equations in physics and engineering.

2. Why are vector differential identities important?

Vector differential identities are important because they allow us to express complicated vector equations in a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and solve problems in physics and engineering. They also help us to understand the relationships between different vector operations.

3. What is the most commonly used vector differential identity?

The most commonly used vector differential identity is the gradient identity, which states that the gradient of a scalar function is a vector field that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function.

4. How are vector differential identities used in real-world applications?

Vector differential identities are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics. They are essential for solving problems involving vector fields, such as calculating electric and magnetic fields or predicting the flow of fluids in a system.

5. Are there any limitations to using vector differential identities?

While vector differential identities are powerful tools, they have limitations. They are only applicable to continuous vector fields, and they may not be valid in certain situations, such as near singularities or at boundaries. Additionally, they may not be applicable in non-Euclidean spaces.