Vector calculus, Torricelli's Trumpet/Gabriel's Horn

In summary, the website provides steps on how to calculate the inner product of two vectors, Ru and Rv. Ru and Rv are composed of three components, x, y, and z. The website provides steps on how to calculate the norm of Ru and Rv, which is [x,y,z]^2.
jackscholar

Homework Statement

I've recently been completing an assessment on Torricelli's Trumpet and was told to look into the geometry aspect. I've been following this website: http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/honors/documents/jeansergejoseph.pdf
I understand all the steps but am not privvy to how they went from

Ru*Rv=-f(u)cos(v)+f(u)sin(v)+f(u)f'(u)
to ||Ru*Rv||=√(f}^2+(ff')^2)

I understand that they taken the inner product space (or at least that is what I believe it is) but I don't know how they managed to manipulate that equation to the inner product space? These are seen at the bottom of page 12 and the beginning of page 13 for the website. If someone could explain further what happened I would be very greatful.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackscholar said:

Homework Statement

I've recently been completing an assessment on Torricelli's Trumpet and was told to look into the geometry aspect. I've been following this website: http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/honors/documents/jeansergejoseph.pdf
I understand all the steps but am not privvy to how they went from

Ru*Rv=-f(u)cos(v)+f(u)sin(v)+f(u)f'(u)
to ||Ru*Rv||=√(f}^2+(ff')^2)

I understand that they taken the inner product space (or at least that is what I believe it is) but I don't know how they managed to manipulate that equation to the inner product space? These are seen at the bottom of page 12 and the beginning of page 13 for the website. If someone could explain further what happened I would be very greatful.

It's not an inner product. It's a cross product. Ru x Rv=[-f(u)cos(v),f(u)sin(v),f(u)f'(u)]. It's a vector with three components. You left out the unit vectors. Now take the norm. || [x,y,z] ||=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2).

I was looking into norms but I tried it and it didn't work out but now I see where I went wrong. Thank you very much.

Related to Vector calculus, Torricelli's Trumpet/Gabriel's Horn

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector functions. It involves the study of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, and their derivatives and integrals. It is an important tool in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What is Torricelli's Trumpet/Gabriel's Horn?

Torricelli's Trumpet, also known as Gabriel's Horn, is a mathematical shape that has infinite surface area, but finite volume. It is formed by rotating the curve y=1/x around the x-axis. This shape has been a topic of interest in mathematics because of its paradoxical properties.

What are the applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has numerous real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to describe physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration, and to analyze the motion of objects in space. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus in vector calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus in vector calculus states that the integral of a vector function over a closed curve is equal to the integral of its curl over the enclosed surface. This theorem is essential in many applications of vector calculus, such as in the study of fluid flow and electromagnetic fields.

What are the vector calculus identities?

Some of the most commonly used vector calculus identities include the product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and divergence theorem. These identities help in simplifying vector equations and solving problems in vector calculus. They are also useful in deriving more complex vector equations and theorems.