Vector Calculus - Laplacian on Scalar Field

In summary, the given equation can be expressed as \frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial^{2}x} = \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{x^{2}}{r^{3}}\right)\frac{d\psi}{dr} + \frac{x^{2}}{r^{2}}\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dr^{2}}, where \psi is a scalar field dependent only on the distance r from the origin. By using the chain and product rules, the equation can be simplified to \frac \partial {\partial x} (x\cdot \frac{\psi'(r)}{r}), making it easier to manipulate and solve.
Insolite
A scalar field [itex]\psi[/itex] is dependent only on the distance [itex]r = \sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}[/itex] from the origin.

Show:

[itex] \partial_{x}^{2}\psi = \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{x^{2}}{r^{3}}\right)\frac{d\psi}{dr} + \frac{x^{2}}{r^{2}}\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dr^{2}}[/itex]

I've used the chain and product rules so far, but I'm unsure how to approach the problem to move onwards from this point. My working is as follows:

[itex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{d\psi}{dr}[/itex] where the identity [itex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}[/itex] is given.
[itex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}\frac{d\psi}{dr} (1) [/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial^{2}x} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{x}{r}\frac{d\psi}{dr}\right)[/itex]
[itex]= \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{x}{r}\right)\left(\frac{d\psi}{dr}\right) + \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{d\psi}{dr}\right)\left(\frac{x}{r}\right)[/itex]

At this point, I can solve the left term to give me:
[itex]-\frac{x^{2}}{r^{3}}\frac{d\psi}{dr}[/itex]

But I don't know how to properly manipulate the second term. I've tried re-arranging and substituting in (1), but this didn't work out. Any hints on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Insolite said:
A scalar field [itex]\psi[/itex] is dependent only on the distance [itex]r = \sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}[/itex] from the origin.

Show:

[itex] \partial_{x}^{2}\psi = \left(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{x^{2}}{r^{3}}\right)\frac{d\psi}{dr} + \frac{x^{2}}{r^{2}}\frac{d^{2}\psi}{dr^{2}}[/itex]

I've used the chain and product rules so far, but I'm unsure how to approach the problem to move onwards from this point. My working is as follows:

[itex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{d\psi}{dr}[/itex] where the identity [itex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}[/itex] is given.
[itex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}\frac{d\psi}{dr} (1) [/itex]

Good so far.

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial^{2}x} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{x}{r}\frac{d\psi}{dr}\right)[/itex]
[itex]= \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{x}{r}\right)\left(\frac{d\psi}{dr}\right) + \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{d\psi}{dr}\right)\left(\frac{x}{r}\right)[/itex]

You might find it easier to write it as ##\frac \partial {\partial x} (x\cdot \frac{\psi'(r} r)##. Now you have a product rule and when you calculate ##\frac \partial {\partial x}## of the second term (quotient rule), just use the chain rule like you did in the beginning.

Aah, thanks a lot for your help, I've got it now. (:

Related to Vector Calculus - Laplacian on Scalar Field

1. What is the Laplacian operator in vector calculus?

The Laplacian operator, denoted by ∇² or Δ, is a vector calculus operator that measures the second order spatial variation of a scalar field. It is used to describe the rate of change of a quantity over a given area in space.

2. How is the Laplacian operator applied to a scalar field?

The Laplacian operator is applied to a scalar field by taking the sum of the second partial derivatives of the field with respect to each independent variable. This results in a single value at each point in the field, representing the local rate of change of the field.

3. What is the significance of the Laplacian in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, the Laplacian operator is used to describe the behavior of physical systems and phenomena, such as the flow of fluids, heat transfer, and electromagnetic fields. It is also used in solving differential equations that arise in these fields.

4. Can the Laplacian be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Laplacian operator can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, it is defined as the sum of the second partial derivatives of a scalar field with respect to each of the three independent variables. It can also be extended to four or more dimensions in a similar manner.

5. How is the Laplacian related to other vector calculus operators?

The Laplacian operator is closely related to other vector calculus operators, such as the gradient, divergence, and curl. It can be expressed in terms of these operators and is often used in combination with them to solve problems in physics and engineering.