Vector calculus index notation

In summary: Its okay, I've managed to do it with index notation. Thank you guys for helping though- I really appreciate it :)
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

prove grad(a.grad(r^-1))= -curl(a cross grad (r^-1))

Homework Equations

curl(a x b)= (b dot grad)a - (a dot grad)b +a(div b) - b(div a )

The Attempt at a Solution

Im trying to use index notation and get
di (aj (grad(r^-1))j)
=grad(r^-1) di(aj) +aj(di grad(r^-1))j

which is obviously not right. I've tried attacking the problem from the reverse direction and haven't had much luck there either.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide more details? Is A a constant vector not dependent on r, theta, phi?

Have you looked at the vector identities in spherical coordinates for curl, div and grad?

Try to solve it without going to index notation.

Try starting with ##\nabla( A \cdot B ) = (B \cdot \nabla ) A + (A \cdot \nabla) B + B \times (\nabla \times A) + A \times (\nabla \times B)##

jedishrfu said:
Try starting with ##\nabla( A \cdot B ) = (B \cdot \nabla ) A + (A \cdot \nabla) B + B \times (\nabla \times A) + A \times (\nabla \times B)##
Hi thank you for replying!
Sorry, a is a constant vector and r is (X,y,z)

I have not come across this identity. Any hints on how to prove it?

Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement

prove grad(a.grad(r^-1))= -curl(a cross grad (r^-1))

Homework Equations

curl(a x b)= (b dot grad)a - (a dot grad)b +a(div b) - b(div a )

The Attempt at a Solution

Im trying to use index notation and get
di (aj (grad(r^-1))j)
=grad(r^-1) di(aj) +aj(di grad(r^-1))j

which is obviously not right. I've tried attacking the problem from the reverse direction and haven't had much luck there either.

Thank you :)

Time to learn some latex, I suggest!

jedishrfu said:
Here's a more complete list of identities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities

Off hand I don't know how to prove this particular identity but often when presented with a problem such as yours you can use the identities transform the left had side to the right hand side or vice versa.to "prove" it.
I think proving the identity was the purpose of the question? I could be wrong but it's to do with index notation

You problem has a specific function ##\nabla(1/r)## in it so its seemed to me that its not an identity but an example where you apply the identity to get the result you need to prove.

Its true I could be wrong here. Perhaps @Mark44 or @PeroK could comment more on this.

jedishrfu said:
You problem has a specific function ##\nabla(1/r)## in it so its seemed to me that its not an identity but an example where you apply the identity to get the result you need to prove.

Its true I could be wrong here. Perhaps @Mark44 or @PeroK could comment more on this.

I assumed it did depend on the second vector being ##\nabla(1/r)##. It must. I evaluated each side for the x-term (and then used symmetry). It's not too bad if you're careful with your differentiation.

Likes jedishrfu
PeroK said:
I assumed it did depend on the second vector being ##\nabla(1/r)##. It must. I evaluated each side for the x-term (and then used symmetry). It's not too bad if you're careful with your differentiation.

I checked with the second vector being ##\nabla f## and it reduces to Laplace's equation ##\nabla ^2 f = 0##

Likes jedishrfu
PeroK said:
I checked with the second vector being ##\nabla f## and it reduces to Laplace's equation ##\nabla ^2 f = 0##
Its okay, I've managed to do it with index notation. Thank you guys for helping though- I really appreciate it :)

Related to Vector calculus index notation

What is "Vector calculus index notation"?

"Vector calculus index notation" is a mathematical notation used to represent vectors and tensors in a concise and efficient manner. It involves using indices to represent the components of a vector or tensor, instead of using the traditional arrow notation.

Why is "Vector calculus index notation" used?

"Vector calculus index notation" is used because it simplifies complex mathematical expressions involving vectors and tensors. It also makes it easier to perform calculations and transformations on these objects.

How is "Vector calculus index notation" different from traditional vector notation?

The main difference between "Vector calculus index notation" and traditional vector notation is that the former uses indices to represent the components of a vector, while the latter uses arrows. Additionally, "Vector calculus index notation" can be used to represent higher-order tensors, while traditional vector notation is limited to representing only vectors.

What are some advantages of using "Vector calculus index notation"?

One advantage of "Vector calculus index notation" is that it is more concise and efficient, making it easier to write and understand complex mathematical expressions involving vectors and tensors. It also allows for easier manipulation and transformation of these objects. Another advantage is that it can be extended to represent higher-order tensors, providing a more versatile notation system.

Are there any limitations to using "Vector calculus index notation"?

One limitation of "Vector calculus index notation" is that it may take some time to get used to, especially for those who are more familiar with traditional vector notation. It also requires a good understanding of index manipulation and Einstein summation convention. Additionally, it may not be suitable for representing geometric properties of vectors and tensors, as it focuses more on their algebraic properties.