Vector Calculus Identites Question

Anyway, in summary, you were asked to prove that the gradient of a function of ##r## is in the direction of ##\hat R##.
jamesdocherty

Homework Statement

let r (vector) =xi+yj+zk and r=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2), let f(r) be a C2 scalar function.

1. Prove that ∇f = dr/df * vector r

2. Using part 1, calculate ∇ cosh(r^5), check answer by direct calculation

3. Using Vector Identities, calculate ∇ X (cosh(r^5)*∇f

Homework Equations

Vector Calculus Basic Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

i know ∇f=(df/dx,df/dy,df/dz)

but i have no idea what df/dr, i assuming its just d/dr * f but i don't even know what d/dr is ?

as i don't know part 1, i couldn't fully do part 2, but i did try the direct calculation and got

=(5x(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3/2 * sinh(x^2+y^2+z^2)^5/2,5y(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3/2 * sinh(x^2+y^2+z^2)^5/2,5z(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3/2 * sinh(x^2+y^2+z^2)^5/2)

for part 3, I'm pretty sure it equals 0 as after doing the determinant everything kind of cancels out, i can't be bothered typing this part it would take too long.

i'm not after an answer, if someone could just explain what d/dr is and if ∇f=(df/dx,df/dy,df,dz), how am i even meant to find it as there's no f function given in the question.

Thanks for any help i am really struggling

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesdocherty said:

Homework Statement

let r (vector) =xi+yj+zk and r=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2), let f(r) be a C2 scalar function.

1. Prove that ∇f = dr/df * vector r

Don't use the same letter for the vector and its magnitude. Let's use ##\vec R = \langle x,y,z\rangle## and ##r## for its length. You have written dr/df but what you mean is to prove ##\nabla f = \frac{df}{dr}\vec R##.

Now you have this differentiable function ##f(r)## and you want to calculate its gradient:$$
\nabla f(r) = \langle \frac \partial {\partial x} f(r),\frac \partial {\partial y} f(r),
\frac \partial {\partial z} f(r)\rangle$$Now use the chain rule to take those derivatives and see what happens.

thanks for the reply, doing that i got:

∇f(r)=(x/√(x^2+y^2+z^2),y/√(x^2+y^2+z^2),z/√(x^2+y^2+z^2))

but i am still confused as to prove ∇f=df/drR⃗, what is df/dr is that the f(r) function being derived in terms of r (the length) and then i have to multiply it by R vector.

Thanks again for any help, i have been trying to get this question for ages now

[Edit, added] I overlooked that you didn't apply the chain rule to your vector$$
\nabla f(r) = \langle \frac \partial {\partial x} f(r),\frac \partial {\partial y} f(r),
\frac \partial {\partial z} f(r)\rangle$$. Remember you are to differentiate a function of ##r## with respect to ##x,y,z## and you must use the chain rule. That's why your work below shows nothing about ##f(r)## in the answer, and it should. Do you understand the chain rule?

jamesdocherty said:
thanks for the reply, doing that i got:

∇f(r)=(x/√(x^2+y^2+z^2),y/√(x^2+y^2+z^2),z/√(x^2+y^2+z^2))

but i am still confused as to prove ∇f=df/drR⃗, what is df/dr is that the f(r) function being derived in terms of r (the length) and then i have to multiply it by R vector.

Yes. It is ##f'(r)##. Look at what you have above. Each component has ##\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}## in the denominator. That is ##r##. Factor it out of the vector as ##\frac 1 r##. That gives you ##\frac{\vec R}{r}## which is a unit vector in the ##\vec R## direction, which I would denote as ##\hat R##. Looking at that result, I would guess what you were really asked to show was that$$
\nabla f = \frac{df}{dr}\hat R$$which wasn't clear from your notation in the original post.

Last edited:

Related to Vector Calculus Identites Question

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vectors and functions of multiple variables. It is used to study and analyze quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

2. What are vector calculus identities?

Vector calculus identities are equations or relationships that involve vectors and their components. These identities help simplify and solve vector calculus problems.

3. What are some common vector calculus identities?

Some common vector calculus identities include the dot product and cross product identities, the gradient, divergence, and curl identities, and the vector triple product identity.

4. How are vector calculus identities used in real life?

Vector calculus identities have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze physical systems, design structures, and create computer-generated images.

5. What is the best way to study and practice vector calculus identities?

The best way to study and practice vector calculus identities is to understand the underlying concepts and practice solving problems using different identities. It also helps to visualize the geometric interpretations of these identities and to use software or online resources for additional practice and understanding.