Vector calculus: how to order terms?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with letting an operator act on a scalar function in a cryptic form and a proposed solution using tensor terms. It is suggested to use Mathematica to check the results.
giokara
Hi,

I need to let an operator act on a scalar function. The operator is however in a very cryptic form, so I would want to work it out a little bit. I get stuck in the process. The operator is:

[itex]\vec{u}\cdot\left[\vec{L}\times\left(\vec{u}_r\times\vec{L}\right)\right]f[/itex]

Where [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] is the angular momentum operator and [itex]\vec{u}_r[/itex] is the unit vector along the [itex]r[/itex]-direction in a spherical coordinate system. [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] is just a constant vector.
The outer [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] needs to work on both the [itex]\vec{u}_r[/itex] and the inner [itex]\vec{L}[/itex], so I write:

[itex]\vec{u}\cdot\left[\check{\vec{u}_r}\left(\check{\vec{L}}\cdot\vec{L}\right)-\left(\check{\vec{L}} \cdot \check{\vec{u}_r}\right)\vec{L}+\vec{u}_r \left(\check{\vec{L}}\cdot \check{\vec{L}}\right)-\left(\vec{u}_r \cdot \check{\vec{L}}\right)\check{\vec{L}}\right]f[/itex][itex][/itex]

where the upside-down hat denotes the vector on which the [itex]\check{\vec{L}}[/itex] operator acts. In the last three terms the ordering of the operators is correct.
For the first term I do not see how to let [itex]\check{\vec{L}}[/itex] operate on [itex]\check{\vec{u}_r}[/itex] without the second [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] operator acting on it as well. My best guess is to make a tensor term of the sort

[itex]\left(\check{\vec{L}}\check{\vec{u}_r}\right)\cdot\vec{L}[/itex]

but I'm not sure about the ordering of the terms in this expression. I have checked the tensor and it is anti-symmetric, so the ordering will make a difference.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

Giorgos

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is solved in the meanwhile. The result is

[itex]\vec{u}\cdot\left[\left(\check{\vec{L}}\check{\vec{u}_r}\right)^T\cdot\vec{L}-\left(\check{\vec{L}} \cdot \check{\vec{u}_r}\right)\vec{L}+\vec{u}_r \left(\check{\vec{L}}\cdot \check{\vec{L}}\right)-\left(\vec{u}_r \cdot \check{\vec{L}}\right)\check{\vec{L}}\right]f[/itex]

For people who would meet such problems in the future, I strongly advice you to use Mathematica to check the results. In this case it saved me...

Related to Vector calculus: how to order terms?

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to each point in a given region of space.

2. How do I order terms in vector calculus?

In vector calculus, terms are ordered according to the direction of their vectors. For example, if the vector has components in the x, y, and z directions, the terms would be ordered as x, y, z.

3. What is the role of the gradient in vector calculus?

The gradient is a fundamental concept in vector calculus that represents the rate of change of a scalar field. It is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the scalar field and its magnitude represents the rate of change.

4. How does vector calculus relate to physics?

Vector calculus is widely used in physics to describe and analyze physical systems. It is used to calculate forces, motion, and energy in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and general relativity.

5. What are some practical applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and economics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems and is essential for understanding and solving many real-world problems.