Vector Calculus Homework: Solving Part (a) & (b)

In summary, the conversation is about finding a tangent vector to the surface G, using partial derivatives to calculate two tangent vectors and checking for linear independence. The conversation then moves on to finding a normal vector at a specific point on the surface and how to use the previously calculated tangent vectors to find it.
Ted123

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/1710/vectorp.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done part (a) but how do I do (b)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, do you know how to find a tangent vector to the surface G?

Char. Limit said:
Well, do you know how to find a tangent vector to the surface G?

No...

This site may help you. Since your equation is defined in two variables u and v, I would try taking the partial derivatives with respect to u and v, and you should get two tangent vectors. Then you should check to see if they are linearly independent.

Char. Limit said:
This site may help you. Since your equation is defined in two variables u and v, I would try taking the partial derivatives with respect to u and v, and you should get two tangent vectors. Then you should check to see if they are linearly independent.

Thanks that's really helpful.

Taking partial derivatives wrt [itex]u[/itex] I get:

[itex]\mathbf{r} '(u,v) = sinh(u)cos(v) \mathbf{i} + sinh(u)sin(v) \mathbf{j} + cosh(u) \mathbf{k}[/itex]

and [itex]\| \mathbf{r} '(u,v) \| = \sqrt{cosh(2u)}[/itex]

and so a tangent vector to G is

[itex]\mathbf{T}(u,v) = \frac{sinh(u)cos(v) \mathbf{i} + sinh(u)sin(v) \mathbf{j} + cosh(u) \mathbf{k}}{\sqrt{cosh(2u)}}[/itex]

So at [itex]\mathbf{r}_1[/itex] from part (a) we know [itex]u=sinh^{-1}(1)[/itex] and [itex]v=\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] .

Hence [itex]\mathbf{T}(sinh^{-1}(1) , \frac{\pi}{4}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6} \mathbf{i} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{6} \mathbf{j} + \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \mathbf{k}[/itex] is a tangent vector to G at [itex]\mathbf{r}_1[/itex] .

This time, taking partial derivates wrt [itex]v[/itex] ,

[itex]\mathbf{r} '(u,v) = -cosh(u)sin(v) \mathbf{i} + cosh(u)cos(v) \mathbf{j}[/itex]

and [itex]\| \mathbf{r} '(u,v) \| = \sqrt{cosh^2(u)}[/itex]

Evaluating at [itex]\mathbf{r}_1[/itex] I get 0?

That's odd. I'm not sure you're doing it right, then... remember that:

1. [tex]\sqrt{cosh^2(u)} = cosh(u)[/tex]. This will simplify both of your calculations when finding the second unit tangent vector.

2. sin(pi/4) and cos(pi/4) are not zero.

Char. Limit said:
That's odd. I'm not sure you're doing it right, then... remember that:

1. [tex]\sqrt{cosh^2(u)} = cosh(u)[/tex]. This will simplify both of your calculations when finding the second unit tangent vector.

2. sin(pi/4) and cos(pi/4) are not zero.

For the first tangent vector:

[itex]\mathbf{T} (sinh^{-1}(1) , \frac{\pi}{4}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6} \mathbf{i} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{6} \mathbf{j} + \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \mathbf{k}}[/itex] is a tangent vector to G at [itex]\mathbf{r}_1[/itex]

For the 2nd:

[itex]\mathbf{T}(u , v) = \frac{\mathbf{r} '(u,v) = -cosh(u)sin(v) \mathbf{i} + cosh(u)cos(v) \mathbf{j}}{cosh(u)}[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{T}(sinh^{-1}(1) , \frac{\pi}{4}) = \frac{-1+1}{\sqrt{2}} = 0[/itex]

What happened to the unit vectors i and j?

Char. Limit said:
What happened to the unit vectors i and j?

Sorry, ballsed up the latex.

For the first tangent vector:

[itex]\mathbf{T}(u,v) = \frac{sinh(u)cos(v) \mathbf{i} + sinh(u)sin(v) \mathbf{j} + cosh(u) \mathbf{k}}{\sqrt{cosh(2u)}}[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{T} (sinh^{-1} (1) , \frac{\pi}{4}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \mathbf{i} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \mathbf{j} + \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \mathbf{k}}[/itex] is a tangent vector to G at [itex]\mathbf{r}_1[/itex]

For the 2nd:

[itex]\mathbf{T}(u , v) = \frac{\mathbf{r} '(u,v) = -cosh(u)sin(v) \mathbf{i} + cosh(u)cos(v) \mathbf{j}}{cosh(u)}[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{T}(sinh^{-1}(1) , \frac{\pi}{4}) = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \mathbf{i} +\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\mathbf{j}[/itex]

But that last line is just not true. -i+j does not equal 0.

Char. Limit said:
But that last line is just not true. -i+j does not equal 0.

Yeah of course not.

So presumably if I now calculate a normal vector of G at [itex]\mathbf{r}_1[/itex] it will be a multiple of the vector [itex]\nabla g(\mathbf{r}_1) =(2,2-2)[/itex]

Presumably, yes. And the link I provided above also shows you how to find the normal vector.

Char. Limit said:
Presumably, yes. And the link I provided above also shows you how to find the normal vector.

Trouble is if I try to find a normal vector from the 2nd tangent vector (by differentiating wrt v),

[itex]\mathbf{T}(u , v) = -sin(v) \mathbf{i} + cos(v) \mathbf{j}[/itex]

Then the resulting normal vector [itex]\frac{\mathbf{T}'(u , v)}{\|\mathbf{T} '(u , v) \|}[/itex] certainly isn't a multiple of [itex](2,2,-2)[/itex] as there's no k component!

However it works for the 1st one as [itex]\frac{\mathbf{T}'(u , v)}{\|\mathbf{T} '(u , v) \|} = \frac{1}{3 \sqrt{3}} \mathbf{i} + \frac{1}{3\sqrt{3}} \mathbf{j} - \frac{1}{3\sqrt{3}} \mathbf{k}[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Vector Calculus Homework: Solving Part (a) & (b)

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that involves the study of vectors and their operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It also includes the study of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to each point in a given space.

2. What is the purpose of solving part (a) and (b) in vector calculus homework?

Solving part (a) and (b) in vector calculus homework allows you to practice and apply the concepts and techniques learned in class. It also helps you develop problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of vector calculus.

3. How do I approach solving part (a) and (b) in vector calculus homework?

The first step is to carefully read the instructions and understand the problem. Then, you should review the relevant concepts and equations, and use them to formulate a solution. It is also important to show your work and explain your reasoning to receive full credit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving part (a) and (b) in vector calculus homework?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect formulas or equations, not checking your work for accuracy, and not clearly explaining your steps and reasoning. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout your solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving part (a) and (b) in vector calculus homework?

Practice is key to improving your skills in vector calculus. Make sure to review and understand the concepts and techniques taught in class, and solve as many problems as you can. You can also seek help from your instructor or peers if you are struggling with a particular problem.