Vector Calculus - Closest point to the origin

In summary, the problem involves finding the point or points on a curve C in space, defined implicitly on a cylinder, closest to the origin. The equation for the distance formula is provided, but Lagrange Multipliers have not been learned yet. The attempt at a solution involved using the distance formula and solving for z from the given additional equation. However, there was difficulty in solving for the partials of x and y, and further progress was halted. A hint was given to minimize z2 and utilize the definition of C.
number0

Homework Statement

A curve C in space is defined implicitly on the cylinder x^2+y^2=1 by the additional equation: x^2-xy+y^2-z^2=1. Find the point or points on C closest to the origin.

Homework Equations

d = ((x-x0)+(y-y0)+(z-z0))^(1/2) - This is the distance formula.
Please note that I did NOT learn Lagrange Multipliers, yet - it is the next section in my math book.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I used the distance formula: ((x-x0)^2+(y-y0)^2+(z-z0)^2)^(1/2).
where (x0,y0,z0) = (0,0,0) - the origin.

I solved for z from the additional equation: x^2-xy+y^2-z^2=1.

So the equation now looks like this: ((x^2+y^2+(x^2-xy+y^2-1))^(1/2)

I then square the entire equation (so that I can derive easier) because the extrema points remained the same if the equation were not squared.

I solved the partials for x and y. And for some reason, I got fx=4x-y and fy=4y-x. Thus the point of intersection, which I believe to be incorrect, is (0,0).

I plugged (0,0) back into the additional equation and I have square root by a negative number!

And now... I am stuck.

Can anyone please show me how to approach this problem using the derivation of the distance formula and NOT using Lagrange Multipliers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi number0! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: you know x2 + y2 = 1, so you really only need to minimise z2, and you can use x2 + y2 = 1 in the definition of C. :wink:

Thanks tiny-tim!

Related to Vector Calculus - Closest point to the origin

1. What is vector calculus and how is it used to find the closest point to the origin?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving motion, forces, and other physical phenomena. To find the closest point to the origin using vector calculus, we use the concept of gradient vectors to find the direction in which the function is increasing or decreasing the fastest, and then use that information to find the point where the gradient vector is perpendicular to the position vector from the origin.

2. Can vector calculus be used to find the closest point to the origin in 3-dimensional space?

Yes, vector calculus can be used to find the closest point to the origin in any number of dimensions. The concept of gradient vectors and their relationship to the position vector applies to all dimensions, allowing for the calculation of the closest point to the origin in 3-dimensional space or even higher dimensions.

3. What is the formula for finding the closest point to the origin using vector calculus?

The formula for finding the closest point to the origin using vector calculus is:
x = (a ∙ ∇f)/(∇f ∙ ∇f) * ∇f
where x is the closest point to the origin, a is the position vector from the origin to the point, and ∇f is the gradient vector of the function at that point.

4. Can vector calculus be used to find the closest point to the origin on a curve or surface?

Yes, vector calculus can be used to find the closest point to the origin on a curve or surface. The same concept of gradient vectors and their relationship to the position vector applies, but the formula may be slightly different depending on the specific curve or surface being analyzed.

5. Are there any real-world applications of vector calculus for finding the closest point to the origin?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of vector calculus for finding the closest point to the origin. Some examples include calculating the shortest distance between a point and a line or plane, finding the optimal path for a moving object to reach a target point, or determining the closest point on a surface for a specific point in space. These applications are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.