Vector Addition: Solving for Magnitude of B in C+B=7i+5j

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of vector B when added to vector C, which has a magnitude of 7i+5j. The conversation also mentions the importance of the y component and how it should be greater than 0. It is noted that the answer given by the listener is not correct for either case.
jaciel2001cas
I got a problem on a homework but the wording is kind of confusing and i don't know how to place it down on paper in a way that i can solve it...thanks for all the help..it looks basic, I find the Problem in weather its B+C=7i+5j or B+C=C being b+(7i+5j)=C

1: A vector, B, when added to the vector C=7i+5j yields a resultant vector which is in the positive y direction and has a magnitude equal to that of C. what is the magnitude of B?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know for sure that B = -7i + yj, how do you suppose you find what y should be? What is the magnitude of C? Do the two vectors look similar at all?

So magnitude of (B + C) = sqrt(7^2+5^2)
and the y component in A when added to C's y component has to be greater than 0.

im gettin 7.9 on the value of B..is that correct?
thanks for your help

Oh, which vector is supposed to have the same magnitude as C? If vector B is supposed to have the same magnitude then it should be B = -5i + (what)j, but if the resultant vector, call it D, is supposed to have the same magnitude then you need B = -5i + (you find it)j. Your answer would not be right for either case.

Related to Vector Addition: Solving for Magnitude of B in C+B=7i+5j

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to create a new vector. This is done by adding the components of the vectors together, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

2. Why is vector addition important?

Vector addition is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and navigation. It allows us to accurately calculate the overall direction and magnitude of a system's motion or force.

3. How do you add vectors using the graphical method?

The graphical method of vector addition involves drawing the vectors to scale on a coordinate plane and then adding them head-to-tail. The resulting vector is the sum of the original vectors.

4. What is the formula for vector addition?

The formula for vector addition is A + B = √(Ax + Bx)^2 + (Ay + By)^2, where A and B are the two vectors being added and Ax, Ay, Bx, and By are their respective components in the x and y directions.

5. Can you add more than two vectors at once?

Yes, you can add any number of vectors at once using the same principles of vector addition. This is often seen in more complex systems where multiple forces are acting on an object.