Finding the magnitude of a vector B given vector C

In summary, if vector B is added to vector C = 3.7i + 2.4j, the result is a vector in the positive direction of the y axis, with a magnitude equal to that of vector C.
Cadawallader

Homework Statement

If vector B is added to vector C = 3.7i + 2.4j, the result is a vector in the positive direction of the y axis, with a magnitude equal to that of vector C. What is the magnitude of vector B?

Homework Equations

sqroot(a^2x+a^2y) = a

The Attempt at a Solution

My line of reasoning: since the magnitude of vector B is equal to the magnitude of vector C, then finding the magnitude of vector C using the given components would yield the magnitude of vector B.

How I went about solving the problem:

I used 3.7i as the x component of C and 2.4j as the Y component, then plugged each component into the following formula: c = sqroot(c2x+c2y). I received an answer of 4.4 but it has been marked as incorrect.

Please let me know why my reasoning is incorrect (I don't need the answer).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Cada, welcome to PF :smile: !

Did you make a drawing of the situation ?

BvU said:
Hello Cada, welcome to PF :smile: !

Did you make a drawing of the situation ?

Hi,

Thanks for replying. No, I had not created an illustration of the situation at the time since I did not believe it would be necessary for this question.

I created one just now but I still do not see how it will help yield the magnitude of vector C.

Here is the drawing: http://i60.tinypic.com/2zrf6og.jpg

Attachments

• Vec.jpg
    Vec.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 519
If the x component of the resultant is equal to zero, what does the x component of B have to be?

Chet

Hello,

Apologies.. I am reading the question incorrectly therefore assuming that the magnitude of vector B is equal to that of vector C when this is not the case.

I will give this another go - thank you for suggesting to draw this and helping.

Dear Cad,

In the picture it is hard to imagine you made the magnitude of ##\vec a## equal to the magnitude of ##\vec c##. -- Ah, you've got it! See that making a picture helps out ?

Related to Finding the magnitude of a vector B given vector C

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction. Vectors are commonly used in physics and other scientific fields to describe the movement and forces acting on objects.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the diagonal side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the case of a vector, the magnitude can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (x and y for a 2D vector, x, y, and z for a 3D vector).

3. What is the difference between vector B and vector C?

Vector B and vector C are two separate vectors that may have different magnitudes and directions. While both are represented by arrows, vector B may have a different length and direction compared to vector C. It is important to specify which vector is being referred to when finding the magnitude, as they may have different values.

4. Can the magnitude of a vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. It represents the size or length of the vector, which cannot be negative. However, the components of a vector can be negative, which indicates the direction in which the vector is pointing.

5. Can the magnitude of a vector change?

Yes, the magnitude of a vector can change if the vector itself changes. For example, if the direction of a vector changes, its magnitude will also change. Similarly, if the length of a vector changes, its magnitude will also change. However, if the vector remains unchanged, its magnitude will also remain the same.