Varying Forms for an Equation of a Line in R^3

In summary, there are two equations for defining a line in 3D space - one using a single point and a directing vector, and the other using two points. The first equation is used to find a line passing through a given point and directed by a vector, while the second equation is used to find a line passing through two given points. Both equations are equivalent.
kieth89
I was doing some course work earlier today and noticed that I've seen two different equations for a line in 3D space. Usually the equation I use is:
[itex]\vec r(t)=<x_{0}, y_{0}, z_{0}> + t<x, y, z>[/itex]
You plug in the various points with what the problem provides. However, a few times I have seen a problem that uses the equation:
[itex]\vec r(t)=<x_{0}, y_{0}, z_{0}> + t<x-x_{0}, y-y_{0}, z-z_{0}>[/itex]

How do I know which equation to use? Or are these equivalent?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can define a line either with 1 point and a directing vector, or with 2 points.
The first form of is the definition of a line passing through ##M_0 = (x_0,y_0,z_0)## and directed by ##\vec u = (x,y,z)##, while the second form is the definition of a line passing through ##M_0 ## and ##M = (x,y,z) ## (directed by ##\vec{ M_0M}##)

Likes kieth89
Oh, that makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Related to Varying Forms for an Equation of a Line in R^3

1. What is an equation of a line in R^3?

An equation of a line in R^3 is a mathematical representation of a straight line in three-dimensional space. It is usually written in the form of Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and D is a constant.

2. How many forms of equations for a line in R^3 are there?

There are three main forms of equations for a line in R^3: slope-intercept form, point-slope form, and standard form. Each form has its own unique advantages and uses, depending on the given information about the line.

3. What is the slope-intercept form for a line in R^3?

The slope-intercept form for a line in R^3 is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept (the point where the line intersects the y-axis). This form is useful for graphing a line and determining its slope and y-intercept.

4. How is the point-slope form used to represent a line in R^3?

The point-slope form for a line in R^3 is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope of the line and (x1, y1) is a known point on the line. This form is helpful when you know a point and the slope of a line and want to find the equation of the line.

5. What is the standard form for an equation of a line in R^3?

The standard form for an equation of a line in R^3 is Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are constants and D is a constant term. This form is useful for solving systems of equations and finding the distance between two parallel lines.