Variation of the action using tensor algebra.

In summary, two derivatives indices are causing some problem with tensor algebra, and the attempt to solve the problem is to rewrite the right hand side of the variation of the action as the sum of two parts that looks something like this.
Powertravel

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a problem calculating the variation of the action using tensor algebra because two derivative indices are causing some problem.

Homework Equations

Generally you have the action [itex]S = \int L(A^{\mu}, A^{\mu}_{\;,\nu}, x^{\mu})d^4x [/itex]
where:
[itex] A ^{\mu}= A^{\mu}(x^{\nu}) [/itex]
[itex] A ^{\mu}_{\;,\nu} = \frac{\partial A^{\mu}}{\partial x^{\nu}} [/itex]
[itex] x^{\nu} = (x^0, x^1, x^2 ,x^3) [/itex]
[itex] d^{4}x = dx^0 dx^1dx^2dx^3 [/itex]

Would I be correct in stating that the variation of the action is [itex] \delta S = \int ( \frac{\partial L}{\partial A^{\mu} } \delta A^{\mu} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial A ^{\mu}_{\;,\nu} } \delta A ^{\mu}_{\;,\nu} ) d^{4} x [/itex] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Say that our function L looks like this:
[itex] L = A_{\mu, \nu}-A_{\nu, \mu} [/itex]
where [itex] A_{\mu} = \eta _{\mu \nu} A^{\nu} [/itex] and [itex] \eta_{\mu \nu} [/itex] is the Minkowski metric tensor.
How do I make sense of this in context of the variation [itex]\delta S[/itex] above? More specifically what should the derivative index of the variation [itex] \delta A^{\mu}[/itex] be? Because L is the [itex]\nu[/itex] derivative of [itex]A_{\mu}[/itex] minus [itex]A_{\nu}[/itex] derivated with respect to the [itex]\mu[/itex] derivative.
Specifically what I want to accomplish is to rewrite the right hand side of [itex]\delta S[/itex] as the sum of two parts that looks something like this
[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_{\mu , \nu} } \delta A_{\mu, \nu}=\frac{\partial }{\partial x^{\nu}} (\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_{\mu,\nu}} \delta A_{\mu})-\delta A_{\mu} \frac{\partial }{\partial x^{\nu}}( \frac{\partial L}{\partial A_{\mu,\nu}}) [/itex] but for me to be able to do that I need a common derivative index in L which I don't have. I have two separate derivative indexes and I have not idea what to do with them. Thank you for your help.

I know the equations are physically nonsensical since I have removed all the clutter beside the actual problem, so this is mainly a mathematical question. I could not decide whether it should be in the Physics section or Math section. If a moderator think it should be moved somewhere else please feel free to do it there or tell me and I'll do it later.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your Lagrangian doesn't make sense, because it's a 2nd-rank tensor but should be a scalar (density). The action for the free em. field in Heaviside-Lorentz units with [itex]c=1[/itex] reads
[tex]\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu},[/tex]
where
[tex]F_{\mu \nu}=\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}.[/tex]
Then you can use the antisymmetry of this tensor to write
[tex]\delta \mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{2} F^{\mu \nu} \delta F_{\mu \nu}=-F^{\mu \nu} \partial_{\mu} \delta A_{\nu},[/tex]
where I've also taken into account that in the Hamilton principle the space-time variables are not varied, i.e., that [itex]\delta (\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu})=\partial_{\mu} \delta A_{\nu}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Thank you! It did not answer what I was looking for but it still helped in another way. Which is good since my question, as you pointed out was badly phrased. I will try and derive the result you posted as I cannot see the connection by just looking at it.

Regarding my original question. It does not have to be related to the Lagrangian. If you think of L as just some 2nd rank tensor, would it make more sense then or is there some other error which makes the expression illegal even if one just rewrites [itex] \delta S \rightarrow \delta S^{\mu \nu} [/itex]?

Another question, my teacher did this on the whiteboard some lecture ago without motivation.
[itex] \frac{\partial F_{\mu \nu}}{\partial A^{\mu}_{\;,\nu}} = \frac{\partial F_{\mu \nu}}{\partial A_{\mu, \nu}} [/itex]

Is this true generally for any function or only in the case where A is the 4-potential and F is Maxwell field tensor?

*edit*

I managed to solve the problem. Thank you for the help! But the question above still stands :)

Last edited:

Related to Variation of the action using tensor algebra.

What is the concept of variation of action using tensor algebra?

The variation of action using tensor algebra is a mathematical technique used in theoretical physics and mechanics to study the behavior of systems with multiple degrees of freedom. It involves the use of tensors, which are multidimensional arrays, to represent physical quantities and their variations.

Why is tensor algebra used in the variation of action?

Tensor algebra is used in the variation of action because it allows for the description of physical quantities that vary with respect to multiple variables. This is important in systems with many degrees of freedom, such as particles moving in three-dimensional space, where traditional algebraic methods may be insufficient.

What is the relationship between tensors and physical quantities in the variation of action?

Tensors are used to represent physical quantities in the variation of action, such as position, velocity, and momentum. These quantities are then manipulated using tensor algebra to derive equations of motion and understand the behavior of a system.

How does the variation of action using tensor algebra relate to the principle of least action?

The variation of action using tensor algebra is based on the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the action, a measure of the system's motion. By manipulating tensors and finding the variation of the action, we can determine the path that a system will take.

What are some real-world applications of the variation of action using tensor algebra?

The variation of action using tensor algebra has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of gravitational systems, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the development of mathematical models for predicting the behavior of complex systems in various fields.