Variation of Parameters herupu

In summary, the conversation is about solving a second order differential equation using variation of parameters. The solution involves finding the homogeneous solution, calculating the Wronskian, and using variations to arrive at the final answer. However, there is some confusion about the signs in the equation, which may be causing an incorrect answer. The conversation also briefly veers off topic with the use of non-English words, but ultimately concludes with a thank you for the assistance provided.
FHamster

Homework Statement

y'' + y' = 4t

Homework Equations

Use Variation of parameters!
Inline31.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

So I get homo of: c1 + c2 e^-(t)

From there I get a Wronskian of
-e^(-t)

Then I get variations 2t^2 and -4e^t(t-1)

Then get the answer of 2t^2 + 4t - 4

Btu its wrong :< uguu

Physics news on Phys.org
FHamster said:
Then get the answer of 2t^2 + 4t - 4

Check the signs.

ehild

derp

derp?
herupu?
uguu?

What language is this?

HallsofIvy said:
derp?
herupu?
uguu?

What language is this?

LOL! :smile: I couldn't resist clicking on the title.

FHamster, nobody is going to take your questions/problems seriously if you use weird words to accompany your academic ventures.

FHamster said:
derp

You mean my answer was stupid? Thank you.

ehild

weaboonese

I mean I derped

FHamster said:
So I get homo of: c1 + c2 e^-(t)

LOL he said homo(I am such a child)

sid9221 said:
LOL he said homo(I am such a child)

How did i miss that? :smile:

FHamster,

We use English here. I tried to help you, could you answer something in normal English?

ehild

ehild said:
FHamster,

We use English here. I tried to help you, could you answer something in normal English?

ehild

It was very helpful. Thank you.

Related to Variation of Parameters herupu

1. What is the concept of Variation of Parameters in differential equations?

Variation of Parameters is a method used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It is based on the assumption that the solution can be expressed as a linear combination of the solutions to the corresponding homogeneous equation.

2. How is Variation of Parameters different from other methods of solving differential equations?

Variation of Parameters is different from other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of annihilators, as it can be used to find a particular solution for any type of non-homogeneous linear differential equation, including those with non-constant coefficients.

3. What are the steps involved in using Variation of Parameters to solve a differential equation?

The first step is to find the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation. Then, we find two particular solutions to the non-homogeneous equation. Finally, we use these particular solutions to construct the general solution to the non-homogeneous equation.

4. Can Variation of Parameters be used to solve higher-order differential equations?

Yes, Variation of Parameters can be extended to solve higher-order differential equations. The only difference is that we will need to find more particular solutions to the non-homogeneous equation.

5. How is Variation of Parameters applied in real-world situations?

Variation of Parameters can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze physical systems, electrical circuits, and economic trends by finding the particular solution that best fits the given data.