Variation Method: Proving \int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau>E_1

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem from a textbook using the law of total variation. They are having trouble with one part of the problem and are looking for help.
pedroobv

Homework Statement

This is the problem 8.10 from Levine's Quantum Chemistry 5th edition:
Prove that, for a system with nondegenerate ground state, [tex]\int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau>E_{1}[/tex], if [tex]\phi[/tex] is any normalized, well-behaved function that is not equal to the true ground-state wave function. Hint: Let [tex]b[/tex] be a positive constant such that [tex]E_{1}+b<E_{2}[/tex]. Turn (8.4) into an inequality by replacing all [tex]E_{k}[/tex]'s except [tex]E_{1}[/tex] with [tex]E_{1}+b[/tex].

Homework Equations

Equation (8.4):
[tex]\int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau=\sum_{k}a^{*}_{k}a_{k}E_{k}=\sum_{k}|a_{k}|^{2}E_{k}[/tex]​

Other relevant equations:

[tex]\phi=\sum_{k}a_{k}\psi_{k}[/tex]​

where

[tex]\hat{H}\psi_{k}=E_{k}\psi_{k}[/tex]​

[tex]1=\sum_{k}|a_{k}|^{2}[/tex]

[tex]E_{1}<E_{2}<E_{3}...[/tex]​

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau=|a_{1}|^{2}E_{1}+\sum^{\infty}_{k=2}|a_{k}|^{2}E_{k}>|a_{1}|^{2}E_{1}+\sum^{\infty}_{k=2}|a_{k}|^{2}\left(E_{1}+b\right)=|a_{1}|^{2}E_{1}+E_{1}\sum^{\infty}_{k=2}|a_{k}|^{2}+b\sum^{\infty}_{k=2}|a_{k}|^{2}=E_{1}\sum_{k}|a_{k}|^{2}+b\sum^{\infty}_{k=2}|a_{k}|^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau>E_{1}+b\sum^{\infty}_{k=2}|a_{k}|^{2}[/tex]

I don't know how to apply the condition that [tex]\phi\neq \psi_{1}[/tex] to complete the proof, also I'm not sure if this is the right way to start but that's how I understand the hint given. If you need more information or something is not clear, please tell me so I can do the proper correction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to show that your final sum is not zero. If it was zero, what would that tell us about each [itex]a_k[/itex], [itex]k\ge 2[/itex]? And what would that tell us about [itex]\phi[/itex]?

Minor point: your [itex]>[/itex] sign should really be [itex]\ge[/itex] to account for this case.

But if the last sum is not zero that mean that there is a mistake somewhere since the purpose is to obtain [tex]\int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau>E_{1}[/tex] right?

I think that it is easy to show that the last sum is not zero because if it was zero that would mean that [tex]\phi = \psi_{1}[/tex] according to the equations
[tex]1=\sum_{k}|a_{k}|^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\phi = \sum_{k}a_{k}\psi_{k}[/tex]​

But as the problem statement says, [tex]\phi\neq \psi_{1}[/tex], so the sum can't be zero. So far, I have not been able to find the mistake (since as I said before the second term must be eliminated to complete the proof). Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Variation Method: Proving \int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau>E_1

1. What is the Variation Method?

The Variation Method is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to find an approximate solution to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. It involves finding a trial function, or wavefunction, that minimizes the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system.

2. How does the Variation Method work?

The Variation Method works by postulating a trial function, or wavefunction, that is a linear combination of simpler functions with adjustable parameters. The parameters are then varied to minimize the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator, which leads to an approximate solution for the energy of the system.

3. What is the significance of proving that \int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau>E_1 using the Variation Method?

Proving that \int \phi^{*} \hat{H} \phi d\tau>E_1 using the Variation Method shows that the trial wavefunction used in the method is a better approximation for the true wavefunction of the system. This means that the energy calculated using the Variation Method is closer to the actual energy of the system, making it a more accurate solution.

4. What are the limitations of the Variation Method?

The Variation Method is limited by the choice of trial function, as it may not accurately represent the true wavefunction of the system. Additionally, the method can only provide approximate solutions, and may not be able to find the exact solution to the Schrödinger equation.

5. How is the Variation Method used in practical applications?

The Variation Method is commonly used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels of atoms and molecules, as well as the properties of solids and other quantum systems. It is also used in computational chemistry to predict molecular structures and chemical reactions.