Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory

In summary, chapter 19 of "QFT for the gifted amateur" discusses the generation of Feynman diagrams and rules. The author encounters problems when trying to work out some calculations, specifically with terms involving the coupling constant lambda. The author uses Wick's theorem to simplify the calculations and finds that some terms lead to infinities. These infinities can be removed by renormalization techniques. Additionally, the author notes that when calculating amplitudes from correlation functions, these "anomalous" terms disappear. This is due to the fact that the external states used in the calculations are not "good" states in the interacting theory and need to be modified.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to work out theamplitudes for the various Feynman diagrams from the Dyson series expansion of the S-matrix. Sometimes I'm left with constant integrals over all space and other anomalies.
This is QFT for the gifted amateur, chapter 19, which is generating the various Feynman diagrams and rules. Some calculations are given but I encounter various problems when trying to work them all out.

The starting point is that we want to calculate:
$$\langle q| \hat S | p \rangle = (2\pi)^3 \sqrt{2E_q}\sqrt{2E_p}\langle 0|\hat a_{\vec q} \hat S a_{\vec p}^{\dagger}| 0 \rangle$$
Where:
$$\hat S = T[1 + (\frac{-i\lambda}{4!})\int d^4x \ \hat \phi(x)^4 + (\frac{-i\lambda}{4!})^2(\frac 1 {2!})\int d^4xd^4y \ \hat \phi(x)^4 \hat \phi(y)^4 + \dots]$$
First, if we take the term in ##\lambda##, we have the term:
$$\langle 0|T[\hat a_{\vec q} \hat \phi(x)^4 a_{\vec p}^{\dagger}]| 0 \rangle$$
And, using Wick's theorem I get two non-zero terms coming out of this. The first is covered in the book:
$$12\langle 0|\ [\hat a_{\vec q} \hat \phi(x)] \ [\hat \phi(x) \hat \phi(x)] \ [\hat \phi(x) a_{\vec p}^{\dagger}]| 0 \rangle$$
Where I've used ##[ \ \ ]## to indicate a contraction.

But, I was also looking at the term:
$$3\langle 0|\ [\hat a_{\vec q} a_{\vec p}^{\dagger} ] \ [\hat \phi(x) \hat \phi(x)] \ [\hat \phi(x) \hat \phi(x)]| 0 \rangle$$
Is this term valid? In any case, it leads to an infinity:
$$\delta^4(q-p) \int d^4x \bigg ( \int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4} \big ( \frac{i}{k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon} \big ) \bigg )^2$$

A similar thing happens for the ##\lambda^2## term. I have an extra term in the integral that does not correspond to any diagram:
$$[\hat a_{\vec q} a_{\vec p}^{\dagger} ] \ [\hat \phi(x) \hat \phi(y)]^4$$
I can see why the diagram would not make sense, but I can't see why that term vanishes from the integral.

Finally, similar terms crop up in trying to calculate the integrals for other diagrams. I get the right answer except I still have an integral of the form ##\int d^4 x## in front of everything. Mathematically, it all comes back to the same issue, as above.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
PS I think it might boil down to what to do with the Feynman propagator when ##x = y##. If this generates a delta function ##\delta^4(0)##, then that might sort things out?

To continue to answer my own question, I found this, which suggests we do need something of a fudge to get rid of the infinities:

https://physicspages.com/pdf/Lahiri%20QFT/Lahiri%20&%20Pal%20Problems%2005%20No%20equal%20time%20commutators.pdf

That's one of the most simple examples for divergent contributions to higher-order corrections depicted by socalled tadpole diagrams, i.e., a line in a Feynman diagram that connects one spacetime-point with a loop. These are divergent and have to be renormalized. In ##\phi^4## theory the most simple example is the one-loop contribution to the self-energy. It provides simply an infinite constant contribution to ##m^2## and has to be subtracted such that you get at one-loop order the physical mass of the particle.

For details, see Sect. 5.4.1 in

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Likes dextercioby and PeroK
These "anomolous" terms all go away when you calculate amplitudes from correlation functions via the LSZ theorem. Specifically, the expression
$$\delta^4(q-p) \int d^4x \bigg ( \int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4} \big ( \frac{i}{k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon} \big ) \bigg )^2$$
represents a vacuum diagram which factors out and does not appear in scattering amplitudes. It corresponds to this Feynman diagram:
124141ad.png

See Peskin & Schroeder Chapter 4 for a discussion of vacuum diagrams and how they factor out in calculations, and Chapter 7 for how scattering amplitudes are extracted from correlation functions. If you continue with your current approach to calculating scattering amplitudes you'll also find strange divergences with external leg corrections, i.e. loops on external legs, which as you might expect are also fixed by the correlation function approach. The way to think about these problems is that your states ##|q\rangle## and ##|p\rangle## are not "good" states in the interacting theory and need to be modified to get rid of all the odd divergences (besides the genuine divergences in the QFT).

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK

1. What is the significance of "Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory"?

Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the interactions between particles in a quantum field theory. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How is "Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory" calculated?

The amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory are calculated using Feynman diagrams, which represent the possible ways particles can interact and exchange energy. These diagrams are then used to calculate the probability of a particular particle interaction occurring.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the amplitudes in "Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory"?

The amplitudes in ##\phi^4## theory represent the probability amplitudes for different particle interactions. These amplitudes can be used to calculate the probability of a specific particle interaction occurring, and therefore provide insight into the behavior of particles in a quantum field theory.

4. How does "Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory" relate to other quantum field theories?

Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory is a specific example of a quantum field theory, and it shares many similarities with other quantum field theories. However, it is particularly useful in describing the interactions between particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. What are the limitations of "Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory"?

While Amplitudes for ##\phi^4## theory is a powerful tool for understanding particle interactions, it has some limitations. For example, it only applies to theories with a specific type of interaction between particles, and it does not take into account the effects of gravity. Additionally, it can be challenging to calculate amplitudes for more complex particle interactions.