Van de Graaff + Leyden jar a dangerous demo?

In summary, my high school physics teacher performed an incredible demo that involved connecting people's hands to a Van de Graaff generator and shocking them. He claims it is safe, but some people on the internet say it is dangerous.
cyborgasm
Hello all,

In my first high school physics class my teacher performed an incredible demo that has stuck in my mind ever since. After playing around with a Van de Graaff generator a bit he whipped out one of those homemade plastic bottle and aluminum foil Leyden jars and charged it up using the Van de Graaf. He then had those of us willing to do so stand in a ring with hands connected. One student held one contact of the Leyden jar while he completed the circuit himself. The shock made all of us jerk our arms strongly. This was one of the most dramatic physics demos ever impressed upon me. I guess it seemed almost magical that this collection of everyday junk (composing the Leyden jar) could have such a strong and visceral effect.

Anyway, I'd reeeeeallly like to repeat this demo for a small group of students I tutor - but I'm afraid it might be dangerous. On the one hand my high school physics teacher has done this for years to himself and to (warned and willing) groups of students with no ill-effects. On the other hand lots of people on the internet say it's bad. Then again people on the internet say a lot of things...

What do you think, is this a dangerous demo? A lot dangerous or a little dangerous? Have any of you seen or experienced this demo? Has anyone actually been killed from this demo? Keep in mind that I'd be using a similarly crude low capacitance homemade Leyden jar. Also, none of these students have pace makers or other electronic implants, and none have known heart conditions. (I suppose they could have undiagnosed conditions, but they are all outwardly healthy and fit people).

I have no problem risking my own life and limb for a cool physics demo, but I'd prefer not to kill one of my students.

Physics news on Phys.org
No it is not dangerous. As far as I know nobody has been yet killed from this. Already experienced this and also challenged a friend of mine to who can hold on longer :D I won but after that my muscles became tired.

Thanks for the info!

Related to Van de Graaff + Leyden jar a dangerous demo?

1. What is a Van de Graaff generator?

A Van de Graaff generator is a device that produces static electricity by transferring electric charges from a high-voltage source to a metal sphere or dome. It was invented by physicist Robert J. Van de Graaff in the 1920s.

2. How does a Van de Graaff generator work?

A Van de Graaff generator works by using a motorized belt to create friction between two materials, typically rubber and silk, which causes electrons to be transferred from one material to the other. This transfer of electrons creates a build-up of static electricity on the metal sphere or dome.

3. What is a Leyden jar?

A Leyden jar is a device used to store electrical energy in the form of static electricity. It consists of a glass jar or bottle with a metal foil coating on the inside and outside, separated by an insulating material such as glass or wax. It was invented by Ewald Georg von Kleist and Pieter van Musschenbroek in the 1740s.

4. Is the Van de Graaff + Leyden jar demo dangerous?

Yes, the Van de Graaff + Leyden jar demo can be dangerous if not performed correctly. The high voltage produced by the Van de Graaff generator and stored in the Leyden jar can cause electric shocks and even sparks. It is important to follow proper safety guidelines and precautions when conducting this demo.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when performing the Van de Graaff + Leyden jar demo?

When performing the Van de Graaff + Leyden jar demo, it is important to wear safety goggles and gloves to protect against electric shocks. It is also important to ensure that the Van de Graaff generator is properly grounded and that the Leyden jar is discharged after each use. The demo should also be performed in a well-ventilated area and should be supervised by a trained professional.