Why do Van de Graaff generators produce such low current?

In summary, the conversation revolved around using a Van de Graaff generator to supplement a discussion on the realism of a scene from Jurassic Park involving an electric fence. The individual wanted to know how to explain the safety of the generator and electric fences in comparison to more dangerous electric wires and devices. It was noted that while the generator is not inherently safe, it can be made safe through design and duration of contact. A resource was also provided for further information on Van de Graaff generator safety.
supernova88
I'm currently in a program to be a physics teacher and for an upcoming mock lesson plan I am going to show the scene from Jurassic Park where the kid gets blasted off the electric fence and talk about if it is realistic. To supplement my discussion I'll be using a Van de Graaff generator to differentiate voltage and current. Obviously I want to deter people from sticking their fingers in electric sockets, so I'm hoping someone could remind me what it is about Van de Graaff generators (and electric fences) that keeps their current to a few microamps so I can use it as a concrete comparison to more dangerous electric wires and devices.

Also, I know if you're insulated (i.e. midair) and touching a wire you don't complete a circuit and should be fine, but if the kid's holding onto an uncharged wire and it powers up (10,000 volts, and I assume a bit more amperage than a cattle fence) would it still have no effect?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Why do Van de Graaff generators produce such low current?

1. Why do Van de Graaff generators produce such low current?

Van de Graaff generators produce low current because they are designed to produce high voltage, not high current. The generator uses a belt to accumulate and transfer static electricity, which results in a build-up of high voltage on the dome of the generator. However, this high voltage does not necessarily translate to high current.

2. How does the design of the Van de Graaff generator affect its current production?

The design of the Van de Graaff generator plays a significant role in its low current production. The generator uses an insulating belt to transfer the charge to the dome, which limits the flow of electrons and restricts the current. Additionally, the generator's metal dome is a conductor, which also hinders the movement of electrons and results in low current output.

3. Can the current production of a Van de Graaff generator be increased?

Yes, the current production of a Van de Graaff generator can be increased by modifying its design or adding components such as a resistor or a capacitor in the circuit. However, this may affect the voltage output of the generator and should be done with caution.

4. How does the size of the Van de Graaff generator affect its current production?

The size of the Van de Graaff generator can affect its current production. A larger generator will have a larger surface area for charge accumulation, which can result in a higher voltage output. However, the current production may not necessarily increase as it depends on the design and components of the generator.

5. Can the current production of a Van de Graaff generator be measured?

Yes, the current production of a Van de Graaff generator can be measured using a current meter or ammeter. However, the reading may be significantly low due to the generator's design and intended purpose of producing high voltage rather than high current.