Value of Fourier Series from Two Equations

In summary: I used that##\cosh x = \frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}, \sinh x = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2}## and that##\coth x = \frac{\cosh x}{\sinh x} = \frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{e^x-e^{-x}}##
Incand

Homework Statement

Derive
##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+b^2} = \frac{\pi}{2b}\coth b\pi - \frac{1}{2b^2}##

from either
##e^{b\theta} = \frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi} \sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{in\theta}}{b-in}##
for ##0 < \theta < 2\pi##.

or
##e^{b\theta} = \frac{\sinh b\pi}{\pi}\sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{b-in}e^{in\theta}##
for ##-\pi < \theta < \pi##.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

To get the series to be from ##1\to \infty## it seems a good idea to set ##\theta=\pi## which means we have to use the first equation. We get
##e^{b\pi } = \frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi}\sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{in\pi}}{b-in} =\frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi} \sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\cos (n\pi)(b+in)}{b^2+n^2} ##
from that all ##\sin n\pi = 0 \; \forall n \in Z##. Moving thing around and realising that ##\cos (n\pi) = (-1)^n## we get
##\frac{2\pi e^{b\pi }}{e^{2\pi b}-1} = \sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n(b+in)}{b^2+n^2} = b\sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{b^2+n^2}##
since the terms with ##in## all cancel our and are zero for ##n=0##.

We realize that every term with ##n## is equal to the term with ##-n## and we get
##\frac{2\pi e^{b\pi }}{e^{2\pi b}-1} =\frac{1}{b}+ 2b\sum_1^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+b^2}##
where we get ##\frac{1}{b}## from ##n=0##. The sum of the series is then
##\sum_1^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+b^2} = \frac{\pi e^{b\pi }}{b(e^{2\pi b}-1)}-\frac{1}{2b^2}##
I can't get this to contain
##\coth b\pi = \frac{e^{b\pi}+e^{-b\pi}}{e^{b\pi}-e^{-b\pi}}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you say the relevant equations are not applicable?

Likes Incand
Dr. Courtney said:
How can you say the relevant equations are not applicable?
They're not? The exercise give a warning "be careful" that may allude to that they or one of them may not be applicable. I thought since choosing ##\theta = \pi## seemed like a good idea to me and since ##0 < \pi < 2\pi## the first equation should be applicable?

Edit: I guess you meant why i wrote N/A. I just put them in the formulation of the exercise since they were that way in the book. I could've put them there instead ofcouse.

Last edited:
Incand said:
$$e^{b\theta} = \frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi} \sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{in\theta}}{b-in}$$ for ##0 < \theta < 2\pi## or
$$e^{b\theta} = \frac{\sinh b\pi}{\pi}\sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{b-in}e^{in\theta}$$ for ##-\pi < \theta < \pi##.
I don't see how both of these can be right because
$$\frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi} = \frac{e^{\pi b}(e^{\pi b}-e^{-\pi b})}{2\pi} = \frac{e^{\pi b}}{\pi} \sinh \pi b,$$ so for ##0 < \theta < \pi##, you'd have
$$e^{\pi b}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{in\theta}}{b-in} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (-1)^n\frac{e^{in\theta}}{b-in}$$ Maybe that's true, but it doesn't look right to me. Consider the case when ##b=0##, for instance.

To get the series to be from ##1\to \infty##, it seems a good idea to set ##\theta=\pi##, which means we have to use the first equation. We get
$$e^{b\pi } = \frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi}\sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{in\pi}}{b-in} =\frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi} \sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\cos (n\pi)(b+in)}{b^2+n^2}$$
from that all ##\sin n\pi = 0 \; \forall n \in Z##. Moving thing around and realising that ##\cos (n\pi) = (-1)^n##, we get
$$\frac{2\pi e^{b\pi }}{e^{2\pi b}-1} = \sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n(b+in)}{b^2+n^2} = b\sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{b^2+n^2}$$ since the terms with ##in## all cancel our and are zero for ##n=0##.

We realize that every term with ##n## is equal to the term with ##-n##, and we get
$$\frac{2\pi e^{b\pi }}{e^{2\pi b}-1} =\frac{1}{b}+ 2b\sum_1^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+b^2}$$ where we get ##\frac{1}{b}## from ##n=0##.
You should have
$$\frac{2\pi e^{b\pi }}{e^{2\pi b}-1} =\frac{1}{b}+ 2b\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2+b^2}.$$ You changed the form of the summand when you dropped the alternating signs.

The sum of the series is then
$$\sum_1^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+b^2} = \frac{\pi e^{b\pi }}{b(e^{2\pi b}-1)}-\frac{1}{2b^2}.$$ I can't get this to contain ##\coth b\pi = \frac{e^{b\pi}+e^{-b\pi}}{e^{b\pi}-e^{-b\pi}}##.

Last edited:
Likes Incand
vela said:
I don't see how both of these can be right because
$$\frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi} = \frac{e^{\pi b}(e^{\pi b}-e^{-\pi b})}{2\pi} = \frac{e^{\pi b}}{\pi} \sinh \pi b,$$ so for ##0 < \theta < \pi##, you'd have
$$e^{\pi b}\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{in\theta}}{b-in} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (-1)^n\frac{e^{in\theta}}{b-in}$$ Maybe that's true, but it doesn't look right to me. Consider the case when ##b=0##, for instance.
I'm pretty sure they're both right. I checked the book that I wrote them correctly (Folland, Fourier analysis and it's applications). It doesn't say that b is restricted in anyway but if we choose ##b=0## in the first equation we end up with ##1 =0## so perhaps ##b \ne 0##. I think you end up with a special case when deriving the coefficients for ##b=0##. Something along the lines of ##c_n = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^\pi e^{inx}dx = \frac{-e^{-in\pi}+e^{in\pi}}{2in\pi} = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sin n\pi##. (complex sine function). So you get other ##c_n## when ##b = 0## but I only did this real quick so may be wrong. Actually thinking about this made me come up with the solution to the original problem, cheers!
vela said:
$$\frac{2\pi e^{b\pi }}{e^{2\pi b}-1} =\frac{1}{b}+ 2b\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2+b^2}.$$ You changed the form of the summand when you dropped the alternating signs.
Thanks! You(we) actually proved another execise in the book by mistake!

I think I got it now, posting the solution if anyone is interested. Since the functions are discontinuous I can't input ##0## or ##\pi## in the wrong equation to cancel our the alternatiing ##(-1)^n## and I have to use the convergence theorem:
If ##f## is ##2\pi##-periodic and piecewise smooth we have (limit of partial sum)
##\lim_{N \to \infty} S_N^f (\theta ) = \frac{1}{2} \left[ f(\theta - ) + f(\theta +) \right]##
So If we pick ##\theta = 0## in the first equation we end up with
##\frac{e^{b2\pi}+e^{0}}{2} = \frac{e^{2\pi b}-1}{2\pi } \sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{b+in}{b^2+n^2}##
Rearanging we get
##b\sum_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+b^2} = \frac{4\pi (e^{\pi b}+1)}{e^{2\pi b}-1}##
And summing from ##1 \to \infty## instead we get
##\frac{1}{b} + 2b\sum_1^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+b^2} = \frac{\pi (e^{2\pi b}+1)}{e^{2\pi b}-1}##
and we get
##\sum_1^\infty \frac{1}{n^2+b^2} = -\frac{1}{2b^2} + \frac{\pi (e^{2\pi b}+1)}{2b(e^{2\pi b}-1)} = -\frac{1}{2b^2} + \frac{\pi}{2b} \coth b\pi##

Incand said:
I'm pretty sure they're both right. I checked the book that I wrote them correctly (Folland, Fourier analysis and it's applications). It doesn't say that b is restricted in anyway but if we choose ##b=0## in the first equation we end up with ##1 =0## so perhaps ##b \ne 0##.
##b=0## was a poor choice because that would make ##\sinh \pi b=0##, so I effectively divided by 0. I suspect with the first one, you end up having to take a limit as ##b\to 0## to evaluate the righthand side. While ##\sinh \pi b \to 0##, the series probably diverges in such a way that the product is goes to 1.

Likes Incand

Related to Value of Fourier Series from Two Equations

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to break down complex periodic functions into simpler components to better understand their behavior.

2. How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by using a mathematical formula that involves integrals and trigonometric functions. The coefficients of the series represent the amplitude and phase of each sine and cosine function.

3. What is the purpose of a Fourier series?

The purpose of a Fourier series is to decompose a complex function into simpler components to allow for easier analysis and understanding. It is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and other fields of science and engineering.

4. What are some applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to analyze and model periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and vibrations in structures.

5. What are the limitations of Fourier series?

Fourier series have some limitations, such as only being applicable to periodic functions and not being able to accurately represent discontinuous functions. They also require the function to be integrable, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.