Valence/conduction electron density of a classical gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the density of conduction electrons in metals compared to classical gases. It is stated that the valence/conduction electron densities in metals are typically a thousand times greater than those of a classical gas at normal temperatures and pressures. However, the method of calculating such a density for a classical gas is unclear. The conversation also mentions the use of the fermi energy and the infinite square well approximation to calculate the number of states for conduction electrons in metals. Finally, there is a suggestion that the main point of the conversation is that liquids and solids are about a thousand times denser than gases, and the density of conduction electrons in a gas would be about a thousand times less than in a conductive liquid or solid
iLIKEstuff
sorry if this is in the wrong section. the forum rules say a textbook related issue goes here.

i'm reading the ashcroft and mermin solid state physics book and referring to page 4.

in the context of drude theory, the book states that the valence/conduction electron densities for metals are typically a thousand times greater than those of a classical gas at normal temps and pressures.

but I'm confused, how would you calculate such a density for a classical gas. I'm assuming when they say "classical gas" I'm assuming that it is a gas that obeys the ideal gas law. so how would you calculate the CONDUCTION ELECTRON density for air?

(the units they are using for this density is "conduction electrons per cubic centimeter")

thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, good question. I know that for a conduction electron in a metal, a 3D infinite square well is a very good approximation. You can use the fermi energy of the electron to see that the number of states is very large, and that the points in "n-space" (or "phase space") form a near continuum in the limit of large n. So the total number of states will look like a spherical surface because n^2=nx^2+ny^2+nz^2. Since you only want the first quadrant, the rest is nonphysical, you can come up with:

[tex]N(E)=\frac{1}{8}(\frac{4}{3}\pi n^3)[/tex]

Then the density of states would just be dN(e)/dE.

If you can apply the same infinite sq. well. approx. to the gas case, you could make a similar argument for the gas and then compare.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think you are reading to much into this. I think the only content here is that liquids and solids are about a thousand times denser than gas. So if you ionize a gas the conduction electrons should be about a thousand times less dense than in a conductive liquid or solid. I'm guessing this is true because it's only on page 4. So it probably doesn't have any hugely technical intent.

Related to Valence/conduction electron density of a classical gas

1. What is the definition of valence electron density in a classical gas?

The valence electron density in a classical gas refers to the number of electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom that are available for chemical bonding. This electron density is dependent on the number of valence electrons in the atom and the distance between the atoms in the gas.

2. How is the valence electron density of a classical gas determined?

The valence electron density of a classical gas can be determined by using techniques such as X-ray crystallography or electron diffraction, which allow for the measurement of interatomic distances and the identification of valence electrons in the outermost energy level of the atoms.

3. What factors can affect the valence electron density of a classical gas?

The valence electron density of a classical gas can be affected by several factors, including the electronic structure of the atoms, the temperature and pressure of the gas, and the presence of any external electric or magnetic fields.

4. How does the valence electron density of a classical gas relate to its conductivity?

The valence electron density of a classical gas is directly related to its conductivity. A higher valence electron density means more available electrons for conduction, which leads to a higher conductivity. Conversely, a lower valence electron density results in lower conductivity.

5. Can the valence electron density of a classical gas be changed?

Yes, the valence electron density of a classical gas can be changed by altering the electronic structure of the atoms through processes such as ionization or excitation. The valence electron density can also be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, or the presence of external fields.