Vacuum Energy Form (aside from gamma rays)

In summary, Vacuum energy is created and destroyed within Planck time by matter and antimatter annihilation. If someone could theoretically stop or slow down time, would it be possible to tap into vacuum energy? Since annihilation creates gamma rays, I suppose vacuum energy would face the same problems nuclear energy is facing. Is there any other way to get this energy besides in gamma ray form?
Zeline
So apparently vacuum energy is created and destroyed within Planck time by matter, antimatter annihilation. If someone could theoretically stop or slow down time, would it be possible to tap into vacuum energy? Since annihilation creates gamma rays, I suppose vacuum energy would face the same problems nuclear energy is facing. Is there any other way to get this energy besides in gamma ray form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zeline said:
So apparently vacuum energy is created and destroyed within Planck time by matter, antimatter annihilation. If someone could theoretically stop or slow down time, would it be possible to tap into vacuum energy? Since annihilation creates gamma rays, I suppose vacuum energy would face the same problems nuclear energy is facing. Is there any other way to get this energy besides in gamma ray form?

Where did you read this?

For example, in the electron-electron interaction by the exchange of a virtual photon, can you show me where is this "matter-antimatter annihilation"? Look at the Feynman diagram for this process.

Zz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

first paragraph, last sentence.
i guess they also produce other particle, antiparticle pairs but i'd imagine they would annihilate each other as well within Planck time.

Zeline said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

first paragraph, last sentence.
i guess they also produce other particle, antiparticle pairs but i'd imagine they would annihilate each other as well within Planck time.

That wikipedia article has nothing to do with "vacuum energy". Vacuum energy is the vacuum fluctuation, whereas matter-antimatter out of pair production has NO RESTRICTION on its lifetime! If it does, then we wouldn't be using it to generate positrons for particle accelerators.

Please pay attention to the terminology that you're using, because you're mixing different things into one.

Zz.

Zeline: Welcome to Physics Forums...lots of nowledgeable people here...

If someone could theoretically stop or slow down time, would it be possible to tap into vacuum energy?

Nobody currently knows how to tap into vacuum energy. But it might be theoretically possible to tap similar energy outside a black hole horizon...but right now that's science fiction.

You might want to read about dark energy, the theoretical energy that causes space itself to expand. Wikipedia says dark energy and vacuum energy are "equivalent"...I'm not sure anybody knows that for sure...but they do seem closely related.

...vacuum energy is created and destroyed within Planck time by matter, antimatter annihilation.

vacuum energy involves virtual particles...it's not created by matter, antimatter annihilation.

if interested try reading about virtual particles and vacuum energy in Wikipedia as a start.

Last edited:

Related to Vacuum Energy Form (aside from gamma rays)

What is Vacuum Energy Form?

Vacuum Energy Form is a concept in quantum physics that describes the energy present in a vacuum or empty space. It is also known as zero-point energy and is thought to be the lowest possible energy state of a quantum mechanical system.

How is Vacuum Energy Form different from other types of energy?

Vacuum Energy Form is unique in that it exists even in the absence of matter or particles. It is present in all of space and is not affected by temperature or other external factors. It is also thought to have a constant energy density, unlike other forms of energy which can vary in density.

What is the significance of Vacuum Energy Form?

The existence of Vacuum Energy Form has important implications for our understanding of the universe. It is thought to play a role in the expansion of the universe and may be related to dark energy. It also has potential applications in technology, such as in the development of more efficient energy sources.

How is Vacuum Energy Form measured or observed?

Measuring or observing Vacuum Energy Form is a challenging task, as it is a very small and elusive form of energy. It is currently being studied through various experiments and theoretical models. One way to indirectly observe it is through its effects on the Casimir effect, which is the attractive force between two uncharged metal plates placed in a vacuum.

Is Vacuum Energy Form related to gamma rays?

No, Vacuum Energy Form and gamma rays are two distinct concepts. Gamma rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation, while Vacuum Energy Form is a type of energy present in empty space. However, both are important topics in the field of quantum physics and have implications for our understanding of the universe.