Vacuum amplitudes in \phi^4 theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the exponential of an operator as a power series and the calculation of the first three terms of this operator when the operator ##\int dt H\left(t\right)## exists. It is noted that this is similar to the Dyson series used in nonrelativistic QM, but with integrals over the time coordinate. The conversation also delves into the meaning of the "..." in the second-order term and discusses the connection between the Hamiltonian and the Hamiltonian density. In conclusion, the integral ##\int dt H\left(t\right)## is equivalent to the integral with d^4x of the Hamiltonian density.
Replusz
TL;DR Summary
I am not sure how to get the second line from the first.
It looks like he is expanding the exponential as a Taylor series, but what is happening to all those integrals?
1586782354608.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Replusz said:
It looks like he is expanding

To whom does "he" refer? If you ask questions about a specific reference, then you should always explicitly state the reference, because then we might be able to point out something else relevant from the same reference.

Defining the exponential of an operator as a power series, and supposing that the operator ##\int dt H\left(t\right)## exists, what are the first three terms of

$$\exp \left( \int dt H\left(t\right) \right) ?$$

Likes Replusz
That looks like the same as when an evolution operator ##U(t,t')## in nonrelativistic QM is written as a Dyson series, but it's not completely the same because the integrals are not only over the time coordinate.

Likes Replusz
The material we should know is in this PDF:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf

Defining the exponential of an operator as a power series, and supposing that the operator ##\int dt H\left(t\right)## exists, what are the first three terms of

$$\exp \left( \int dt H\left(t\right) \right) ?$$
I assume its just this:
1586791456836.png

This corresponds to the first three terms of the 2nd line in eq. 7.1
I think I see where I went wrong.
Where it says in the 2nd line in 7.1 "..." those only mean measures right? No integrands. So it is only the very last part that is being integrated n times.
That would make sense, am I correct?

hilbert2 said:
That looks like the same as when an evolution operator ##U(t,t')## in nonrelativistic QM is written as a Dyson series, but it's not completely the same because the integrals are not only over the time coordinate.
I was actually thinking the same thing, I assume the d3^x term is just there to normalize something - I might be completely wrong though.

Thanks to George Jones and hilbert2 for your help!

Replusz said:
I assume its just this:
View attachment 260571
This corresponds to the first three terms of the 2nd line in eq. 7.1
I think I see where I went wrong.
Where it says in the 2nd line in 7.1 "..." those only mean measures right? No integrands. So it is only the very last part that is being integrated n times.

I am not quite sure what you mean, as there two instances of "..." in (7.1), one for the integration variables, and one for the integrand. Write the second-order term above as

$$\int dt_1 H\left(t_1\right) \int dt_2 H\left(t_2\right) =\int dt_1 \int dt_2 H\left(t_1\right) H\left(t_2\right) ,$$

so the nth-order term is

$$ \int dt_1 \int dt_2 ... \int dt_n H\left(t_1\right) H\left(t_2\right)... H\left(t_n\right). $$
Replusz said:
I was actually thinking the same thing, I assume the d3^x
If ##H\left(t\right)## is a Hamiltonian, what is ##\int dt H\left(t\right)## in terms of a Hamiltonian density?

Likes Replusz
George Jones said:
I am not quite sure what you mean, as there two instances of "..." in (7.1), one for the integration variables, and one for the integrand. Write the second-order term above as

$$\int dt_1 H\left(t_1\right) \int dt_2 H\left(t_2\right) =\int dt_1 \int dt_2 H\left(t_1\right) H\left(t_2\right) ,$$

so the nth-order term is

$$ \int dt_1 \int dt_2 ... \int dt_n H\left(t_1\right) H\left(t_2\right)... H\left(t_n\right). $$

Yes, I understand now. Thank you!

If ##H\left(t\right)## is a Hamiltonian, what is ##\int dt H\left(t\right)## in terms of a Hamiltonian density?

It is the integral with d^4x of the Hamiltonian density. Just what we have!
Thanks!

Related to Vacuum amplitudes in \phi^4 theory

1. What is the vacuum amplitude in phi^4 theory?

The vacuum amplitude in phi^4 theory is a mathematical quantity that represents the probability of a vacuum state in a quantum field theory. It is calculated using the path integral formalism and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of particles in a vacuum state.

2. How is the vacuum amplitude in phi^4 theory calculated?

The vacuum amplitude in phi^4 theory is calculated using the Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of the possible interactions between particles. The contribution of each Feynman diagram is then summed up to obtain the total vacuum amplitude.

3. What is the significance of vacuum amplitudes in phi^4 theory?

Vacuum amplitudes in phi^4 theory are important because they provide a way to calculate the probability of particle interactions and the behavior of particles in a vacuum state. They also play a crucial role in understanding the properties of quantum field theories and their predictions.

4. How do vacuum amplitudes in phi^4 theory relate to particle interactions?

Vacuum amplitudes in phi^4 theory are directly related to particle interactions as they represent the probability of these interactions occurring. The higher the vacuum amplitude, the more likely it is for particles to interact with each other.

5. Are there any applications of vacuum amplitudes in phi^4 theory?

Yes, vacuum amplitudes in phi^4 theory have various applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of quantum field theories and their predictions. They are also used in calculations for high-energy particle collisions and in understanding the behavior of particles in a vacuum state.