V=[k(q)/r] + [k(-q)/r] Finding the points where v is equal to zero.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the point on a graph where the potential difference between two charges is equal to 0. The equation is set up using the distance formula and the charges and distance are represented by q, k, and r. By simplifying the equation and inverting both sides, it is possible to find the perpendicular bisector of the line joining the two charges, which will be the solution.
rslewis96
Hello!

First of all, thank you for your time in reading my post. Secondly, I am not looking for people to freely give me the answers. With all that said...

Homework Statement

I have a test point randomly selected on a graph, but what I am trying to figure out is where on this graph would this test point or potential difference would be equal to 0 between two charges. I picked three points, q is at (x,y), (-q) is at (x1,y1) and my test point is at (x2,y2). So with this I should be able to set the equation up and go from there.

Where: v is volts, k is 8.99*10^9 (Nm^2)/c^2, q is charges in coulombs and r is the distance between the two points or the distance formula √(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1))

Homework Equations

V=[k(q)/r] + [k(-q)/r]
distance formula √(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1))

The Attempt at a Solution

set v equal to zero you get:

0=(8.99*10^9)(q)/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2) + (8.99*10^9)(-q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2)

move (8.99*10^9)(-q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) to the right side.

-(8.99*10^9)(-q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = (8.99*10^9)(q)/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

from here 8.99*10^9 cancel out.

-(-q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = (q)/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

multiply the negative sign on the left.

(+q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = (q)/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

Now the q cancel out.

1/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = 1/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

I then square both sides to get:

1/((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = 1/((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

and from here I am lost.

Any advice on where I should go from here would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
To continue with your method, you could simply invert each side. Then multiplying out will lead to a lot of simplification. Since the charges are equal and opposite, it is evident that the solution will be the locus of points equidistant from the two charges, i.e. the perpendicular bisector of the line segment joining them.

Related to V=[k(q)/r] + [k(-q)/r] Finding the points where v is equal to zero.

1. What is the meaning of V=[k(q)/r] + [k(-q)/r]?

The equation V=[k(q)/r] + [k(-q)/r] represents the electric potential at a point in space due to two equal and opposite point charges, q and -q, located at a distance r from the point. The constant k is the Coulomb's constant, which depends on the medium in which the charges are located.

2. How is this equation used to find points where V is equal to zero?

To find points where V is equal to zero, we need to set the equation V=[k(q)/r] + [k(-q)/r] equal to zero. This will give us the distance r at which the potential is zero. We can then calculate the coordinates of the point using the position of the two point charges.

3. What does it mean when V is equal to zero at a point?

When V is equal to zero at a point, it means that the electric potential at that point is zero. This could indicate that there is no net electric field at that point, or that the electric fields due to the two point charges are equal and opposite, resulting in a cancellation of the potential.

4. How are the two point charges positioned to result in a V=0 point?

The two point charges must be positioned in a way that their electric fields cancel out at the point where V=0. This can happen when the two charges are placed at equal distances from the point, or when they are placed at equal angles from the point, among other possibilities.

5. Can this equation be used for any number of point charges?

Yes, this equation can be used for any number of point charges. However, as the number of point charges increases, the calculation of the electric potential at a point becomes more complex. In such cases, it is easier to use the superposition principle to calculate the total potential.