UV light + electric current = boom?

In summary, a person was asking for an explanation from an EE for a strange incident involving a UV pen light and a light switch. The pen light appears to have caused sparks and a loud noise, leading to the circuit breaker being reset. It is possible that the UV light partially ionized the air between the terminals, creating a short circuit. The person's wife wanted to try to recreate the incident, but was discouraged from doing so. The person then shared a similar incident from their youth involving a safety pin and an electrical plug. The model number for the pen light is 556156 06/17, manufactured by Scholastic. The conversation then shifted to discussing the model number and manufacturer of the light switch, as well as the
Rive said:
Sigh... A single good experiment can massacre any amount of ideas:cry:
Thank you for following this up.

I know that some old potentiometers can produce fine graphite (or something like graphite) dust. Maybe that, on a surface? That equipment seemed to be quite old...
But it's just some afterthought. I agree with Jim Hardy that it's already hopeless without dissecting that box.
I’ve been watching this thread on and off and wondering why the box hasn’t been post-mortemed, with pictures. Lots of fruitful hypothesising and experimentation going on, but surely the answer lies within?! It’s a light switch, not Schroedinger’s box.

Likes Averagesupernova and jim hardy
Engineering news on Phys.org
Guineafowl said:
It’s a light switch, not Schroedinger’s box.

Laugh out loud on that one Guineafowl ! Dead cat in there?

Boring Anecdote
My old Dodge van refused to start one morning. Start relay on the firewall sounded weak.
I removed the starter relay, pried off the top and found a huge red ant squashed between the contacts.
Those big ants had a nest in the palm tree adjacent my driveway. I wondered what on Earth made that silly ant crawl up under the hood and into that relay.
Well ! Next morning same symptom exactly .
I figured no way could two ants be so crazy but sure enough i pulled another squashed ant out of the same contact.
Why they preferred the starter relay over the horn relay immediately adjacent only those ants knew.
Anyhow, at this rate in a few more days the little tabs on the cover that you must bend to get the top off would fatigue and break... so i decided to make the relay less palatable to them.
Sprayed the inside of the lid with Black Flag home insecticide and reinstalled. No more ant incursions..
old jim

.. .

Likes the_emi_guy, Tom.G, dlgoff and 1 other person
Guineafowl said:
I’ve been watching this thread on and off and wondering why the box hasn’t been post-mortemed, with pictures. Lots of fruitful hypothesising and experimentation going on, but surely the answer lies within?! It’s a light switch, not Schroedinger’s box.
If the OP is uncomfortable opening the box, an electrician should be called. I know if I had sparks flying out of my dimmers for unknown reasons I would not delay in fixing it or getting it fixed. I would be afraid that I would come home from work and find my house burned down.