Using u substitution, which of the following is equivalent to this integral?

In summary: The result should be the same.In summary, the conversation discusses using the u substitution method to solve a definite integral and the importance of keeping the limits of integration in terms of u. It also addresses a mistake made in the substitution and provides clarification on the correct approach. The summary concludes with the reminder that the limits of integration do not need to be changed when using substitution and that the final answer should be evaluated at the original limits.
lude1

Homework Statement

Using the u substutituion u = 2x + 1, ∫(2x + 1)1/2dx (when x goes from 0 to 2) is equivalent to?

Answer: (1/2)*∫(u)1/2du (when x goes from 1 to 5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If u is 2x + 1, then du = 2dx. Thus, I get

(1/2)*∫(u)1/2du (when x goes from 0 to 2)​

The only problem is where did the x goes from 1 to 5 come from? Did I do something wrong, or is the AP packet wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a question like this, when you use substitution to solve a definite integral and have it in a form with u in it, you need to have the two limits in terms of u as well, not x.

So in this example, the limits are 0 to 2 and you know that u = 2x + 1. Just substitute in x = 0 and x = 2, and it gives you the new limits of 1 and 5.

Last edited:
Oh, yes, you are right. I forgot that in order for my answer to be right, it had to be (1/2)*∫(2x + 1)1/2du (when x goes from 0 to 2).

Thanks!

lude1 said:
Oh, yes, you are right. I forgot that in order for my answer to be right, it had to be (1/2)*∫(2x + 1)1/2du (when x goes from 0 to 2).

Thanks!
That should be (1/2)*∫(2x + 1)1/2dx.

It's not necessary to change the limits of integration when you do a substitution. You can work with the indefinite integral, make the substitution, get your antiderivative, undo your substitution, and then evaluate your antiderivative at the original limits.

Related to Using u substitution, which of the following is equivalent to this integral?

1. What is u substitution and how does it help with integrals?

U substitution is a technique used in integration to simplify the integration process. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a new variable (usually denoted as u) in order to make the integral easier to solve.

2. How do I know when to use u substitution?

You can use u substitution when the integral contains a function and its derivative, or when the integral contains a complicated expression that can be simplified using a new variable.

3. Can u substitution be used for all types of integrals?

No, u substitution is not suitable for all types of integrals. It is most commonly used for integrals containing polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

4. What is the general process for using u substitution?

The general process for u substitution involves: identifying a suitable u value, rewriting the integral in terms of u, finding the derivative of u, substituting the original variable with u and the derivative of u, and finally solving the integral in terms of u.

5. Can u substitution be used to solve definite integrals?

Yes, u substitution can be used to solve definite integrals. However, it is important to remember to change the limits of integration when substituting the variable u.