Using the Wronskian to Solve Differential Equations with Non-Constant Solutions

In summary: A ok. :DHow can I show that the general solution is $y=d_1v_1(x)+d_2v_2(x)$?Since $v_1$ and $v_2$ are solutions of $y$, the general solution is $y=Av_1+Bv_2$. But how could we show that $A=d_1$ and $B=d_2$?We can show that by substituting $y=d_1v_1(x)+d_2v_2(x)$ into the differential equation and using the fact that $v_1$ and $v_2$ are solutions. We can also use the initial conditions given in equations (1) and
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :)
I need some help at the following exercise:
Let [tex]v_{1}[/tex], [tex]v_{2}[/tex] solutions of the differential equation [tex]y''+ay'+by=0[/tex] (where a and b real constants)so that [tex]\frac{v_{1}}{v_{2}}[/tex] is not constant.If [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] any solution of the differential equation ,use the identities of the Wronskian to show that there are constants [tex]d_{1}[/tex], [tex]d_{2}[/tex] so that:[tex]d_{1}v_{1}(0)+d_{2}v_{2}(0)=f(0)[/tex] (1), [tex]d_{1}v_{1}'(0) +d_{2}v_{2}'(0)=f'(0)[/tex] (2) and that each solution of the differential equation has the form:[tex]y=d_{1}v_{1}(x)+d_{2}v_{2}(x)[/tex].

Since [tex]\frac{v_{1}}{v_{2}}[/tex] is not constant, the Wronskian is not equal to zero, right? But how can I continue to show the relations (1) and (2)??

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :)
I need some help at the following exercise:
Let [tex]v_{1}[/tex], [tex]v_{2}[/tex] solutions of the differential equation [tex]y''+ay'+by=0[/tex] (where a and b real constants)so that [tex]\frac{v_{1}}{v_{2}}[/tex] is not constant.If [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] any solution of the differential equation ,use the identities of the Wronskian to show that there are constants [tex]d_{1}[/tex], [tex]d_{2}[/tex] so that:[tex]d_{1}v_{1}(0)+d_{2}v_{2}(0)=f(0)[/tex] (1), [tex]d_{1}v_{1}'(0) +d_{2}v_{2}'(0)=f'(0)[/tex] (2) and that each solution of the differential equation has the form:[tex]y=d_{1}v_{1}(x)+d_{2}v_{2}(x)[/tex].

Since [tex]\frac{v_{1}}{v_{2}}[/tex] is not constant, the Wronskian is not equal to zero, right? But how can I continue to show the relations (1) and (2)??

Hi! :)

What do you get if you solve equations (1) and (2) for $d_1$ and $d_2$?

I like Serena said:
Hi! :)

What do you get if you solve equations (1) and (2) for $d_1$ and $d_2$?

Solving for $d_2$ I get, $d_2=\frac{f'(0)-\frac{f(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)}}{v'_2(0)-\frac{v_2(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)}}$.

And $d_1=\frac{f(0)-d_2v_2(0)}{v_1(0)}$, where $d_2$ is the above relation.

But am I not asked to show the equations (1) and (2) by using the identities of Wronskian??

mathmari said:
Solving for $d_2$ I get, $d_2=\frac{f'(0)-\frac{f(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)}}{v'_2(0)-\frac{v_2(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)}}$.

And $d_1=\frac{f(0)-d_2v_2(0)}{v_1(0)}$, where $d_2$ is the above relation.

But am I not asked to show the equations (1) and (2) by using the identities of Wronskian??

Just a sec...
Suppose you multiply both the numerator and the denominator by $v_1(0)$, what do you get?
In other words, exactly when is the system of those 2 equations solvable?

I like Serena said:
Just a sec...
Suppose you multiply both the numerator and the denominator by $v_1(0)$, what do you get?
In other words, exactly when is the system of those 2 equations solvable?

$d_2=\frac{f'(0)-\frac{f(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)}}{v'_2(0)-\frac{v_2(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)}}$

$v_1(0)v'_2(0)-v_2(0)v'_1(0)!=0 $ ,that we have from the Wronskian.right?

mathmari said:
$d_2=\frac{f'(0)-\frac{f(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)}}{v'_2(0)-\frac{v_2(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)}}$

That should be:
$$d_2=\frac{f'(0)v_1(0)-f(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)v'_2(0)-v'_1(0)v_2(0)}
= \frac{f'(0)v_1(0)-f(0)v'_1(0)}{W(v_1, v_2)(0)}$$
$v_1(0)v'_2(0)-v_2(0)v'_1(0)!=0 $,that we have from the Wronskian.right?

Yes.
One of the identities of the Wronskian is, that if the two functions are independent (their quotient is well-defined and is not constant), then the Wronskian is different from zero.
Therefore the equation has a guaranteed solution! ;)

I like Serena said:
That should be:
$$d_2=\frac{f'(0)v_1(0)-f(0)v'_1(0)}{v_1(0)v'_2(0)-v'_1(0)v_2(0)}
= \frac{f'(0)v_1(0)-f(0)v'_1(0)}{W(v_1, v_2)(0)}$$

Yes.
One of the identities of the Wronskian is, that if the two functions are independent (their quotient is well-defined and is not constant), then the Wronskian is different from zero.
Therefore the equation has a guaranteed solution! ;)

And what does this mean? Have we shown now that there are $d_1$ and $d_2$ that satisfy the two relations? Do these two constants exist because the denominator is different from zero?

mathmari said:
And what does this mean? Have we shown now that there are $d_1$ and $d_2$ that satisfy the two relations? Do these two constants exist because the denominator is different from zero?

Together with the solution for $d_1$, which is similar, we have shown that there are constants $d_1$, $d_2$ so that: $d_1v_1(0)+d_2v_2(0)=f(0)$ (1), $d_1v′_1(0)+d_2v′_2(0)=f′(0)$ (2).

Indeed, these solutions only exist because the denominator for both $d_1$ and $d_2$ are different from zero. Otherwise they would be undefined. That is, a solution would not exist.

Btw, how do you feel about picking an avatar picture? :eek:

I like Serena said:
Together with the solution for $d_1$, which is similar, we have shown that there are constants $d_1$, $d_2$ so that: $d_1v_1(0)+d_2v_2(0)=f(0)$ (1), $d_1v′_1(0)+d_2v′_2(0)=f′(0)$ (2).

Indeed, these solutions only exist because the denominator for both $d_1$ and $d_2$ is different from zero. Otherwise they would be undefined. That is, a solution would not exist.

These two relations are given, or do I have to prove them?

mathmari said:
These two relations are given, or do I have to prove them?

These two relations are not given.
However, we have just proven that they hold.

I like Serena said:
These two relations are not given.
However, we have just proven that they hold.

A ok. :D

How can I show that the general solution is $y=d_1v_1(x)+d_2v_2(x)$?

Since $v_1$ and $v_2$ are solutions of $y$, the general solution is $y=Av_1+Bv_2$. But how could we show that $A=d_1$ and $B=d_2$?

Related to Using the Wronskian to Solve Differential Equations with Non-Constant Solutions

What is a Wronskian?

A Wronskian is a mathematical concept used in differential equations to determine the linear independence of a set of solutions. It is represented as a determinant of a matrix composed of the functions in question and their derivatives.

How is the Wronskian used to find solutions to differential equations?

The Wronskian can be used to determine if a set of functions are linearly independent, which is necessary for finding a particular solution to a differential equation. If the Wronskian is non-zero, the functions are linearly independent and can be used to find a solution.

What is the relationship between the Wronskian and the existence of solutions to a differential equation?

If the Wronskian is non-zero, it guarantees the existence of a solution to the corresponding differential equation. However, if the Wronskian is zero, it does not necessarily mean there are no solutions, but rather further analysis is needed.

Can the Wronskian be used to determine the general solution to a differential equation?

No, the Wronskian can only be used to determine particular solutions. To find the general solution, additional information or techniques, such as separation of variables, are needed.

What are some real-world applications of the Wronskian?

The Wronskian has various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is used to solve differential equations in areas such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing and control systems.