Using the series expansion of e^KX, evaluate 2^-3.4 accurate to 3 dp?

In summary, the problem involves evaluating 2^-3.4 using the series expansion of e^KX and the fact that a^X=e^Xlna. The correct answer is 0.095, but the initial attempt using 4 terms in the expansion gave a result of -0.761. To get an accurate answer, it is necessary to use more terms in the expansion, with the number of terms depending on the relative size of x. In this case, since x<0, an alternating series is obtained and the error can be estimated using a theorem. To get an answer accurate to three decimal places, a value of n must be found such that |x|n/n! < 0.001.
solve

Homework Statement

Using the series expansion of e^KX and the fact that a^X=e^Xlna, evaluate 2^-3.4 accurate to 3 dp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So a^X=e^Xlna. Basically we need to expand e^-3.4ln(2).

e^x=1+X+(X^2)/2!+(X^3)/3!...

e^-3.4ln(2)= 1-3.4ln(2)+(-3.4ln(2))^2/2+(-3.4ln(2))^3/6… See any errors in the expansion? The answer is supposedly 0.095 Can't seem to get it right.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. How many terms did you use in the expansion? Because x is relatively large, you'll have to use about 12 terms to get the accuracy you want.

vela said:
Looks fine to me.

When I google the expansion it gives me -0.761 when the answer is supposed to be 0.095

You need to use more terms. (I edited my previous post, probably after you read it.)

vela said:
You need to use more terms. (I edited my previous post, probably after you read it.)

Awesome. I am going to try it in a minute, but how do I know if the X is relatively large or small? Is there any rule of thumb for choosing the number of terms for expansion? I am asking this because all the examples given in the explanation section of my text are easily solved just by expanding e^x up to maximum of 4 terms.

Roughly speaking, the largeness or smallness of the number is in comparison to 1. If |x|<1, then |xn| grows smaller as n increases. Combined with the effect of the denominator in each term, the terms quickly become small, and you need to use only a few terms to get a good approximation. On the other hand, if |x|>1, then |xn| grows larger as n increases, so the terms don't get small until you've gone further in the series.

In this problem, because x<0, you end up with an alternating series. There's a theorem that says if you sum the first n terms of an alternating series to get an approximation, the error in that approximation is no bigger than magnitude of the next term in the series. (I'm being a bit sloppy here, but that's the essential concept you need.) For example, after you added the first 4 terms, you got an approximation of -0.761. The next term in the series, x4/4!, is equal to 1.285, so the theorem guarantees you that
[tex]-0.761 - 1.285 < 2^{-3.4} < -0.761 + 1.285.[/tex]To find the answer to three decimal places, you want the error to be less than 0.001, so you want to find n such that |x|n/n! < 0.001. The easiest thing to do here is try different values of n until you find one that works.

More generally, there's a formula for the remainder if you truncate the Taylor series after n terms. In a similar way, you want to find the value of n that'll make that remainder small enough for your needs. There might be some rule of thumb that let's you estimate the number of terms you need, but I'm not aware of any.

I appreciate your help. Thank You very much.

Related to Using the series expansion of e^KX, evaluate 2^-3.4 accurate to 3 dp?

1. What is the series expansion of e^KX?

The series expansion of e^KX is an infinite sum of terms that represent the exponential function, where K is a constant and X is the variable. The general form of the series is given by ∑(K^n * X^n) / n!, where n ranges from 0 to infinity.

2. How do you evaluate 2^-3.4 using the series expansion of e^KX?

To evaluate 2^-3.4 using the series expansion of e^KX, we can substitute K = -3.4 and X = ln2 into the general form of the series. This will give us an infinite sum of terms that we can approximate by taking a finite number of terms and adding them together.

3. Why is it important to use a series expansion to evaluate 2^-3.4?

Using a series expansion allows us to approximate the value of 2^-3.4 with a high degree of accuracy. This is particularly useful when dealing with complex functions or values that cannot be easily calculated using conventional methods.

4. How accurate is the evaluation of 2^-3.4 using the series expansion of e^KX?

The accuracy of the evaluation depends on the number of terms used in the series expansion. The more terms we use, the more accurate our result will be. However, even with a limited number of terms, we can typically achieve an accuracy of at least 3 decimal places.

5. Can the series expansion of e^KX be used to evaluate other values?

Yes, the series expansion of e^KX can be used to evaluate any value of the form e^Y, where Y is a constant. We can simply substitute the desired value for Y in the general form of the series and use a finite number of terms to approximate the result.