Find the coefficient from the expansion (Explanation request

In summary, the coefficient of xy(z^-2) in (x-2y+3(z^-1))^4 is -216. This can be found by treating z as a positive and using the multinomial theorem to expand (x-2y+3(z^-1))^4, which results in a coefficient of 24(-2)(9)xyz^2. However, since z is negative, the final answer is -216xyz^-2. This reasoning is correct and there would be no answer if the z in xy(z^-2) was positive instead of negative.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Coefficient of xy(z^-2) in (x-2y+3(z^-1))^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was wondering if anyone could give me an explanation for my answer?

The coeffecient of xy(z^-2) does not = 4 where I would be able to use the multinomial theorem.

So since I see that the z in xy(z^-2) and the z in (x-2y+3(z^-1))^4 are both negative, I can treat them as positives

a = x
b = -2y
c = 3z

so I have (a+b+c)^4, 4!/2! = 24abc^2 = 24(x)(-2y)(3z)^2

= 24(-2)(9)xyz^2

but remember that z is negative so the answer is -216xyz^-2

This is how I did it, but I would just like an explanation on why I can consider z positive.

So if anyone can answer these two questions:

It seems like if I did the expansion by hand z will always be negative anyways, so I can just treat z as a positive and find the coefficient like I would any other problem and just change it to a negative exponent at the end. Does my reasoning seem alright here?

Also, there would be no answer to this problem if it was xy(z^2) instead of xy(z^-2), correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
c = 3z
You mean ##c = 3z^{-1}## of course. Your coefficient of -216 is correct. It would also be the coefficient of ##xyz^2## if you started from ##(x-2y+3z)^4.##

Related to Find the coefficient from the expansion (Explanation request

What is meant by "expansion" in this context?

In mathematics, an expansion refers to the process of writing a polynomial expression in its fully expanded form, typically involving the use of binomial coefficients.

What is a coefficient?

In this context, a coefficient refers to the numerical value that is multiplied by a variable in a polynomial expression. It is typically represented by the letter "a" in the general form of a polynomial, ax^n.

How do you find the coefficient in a polynomial expansion?

To find the coefficient in a polynomial expansion, you can use the binomial theorem or the combination formula. Alternatively, you can also use the Pascal's triangle method or the FOIL method, depending on the specific polynomial expression.

Why is it important to find the coefficient in a polynomial expansion?

Knowing the coefficient in a polynomial expansion is important because it allows us to identify the numerical values associated with each term in the expression. This information can help us solve equations, graph functions, and make predictions in various mathematical contexts.

What are some real-life applications of finding coefficients in polynomial expansions?

Finding coefficients in polynomial expansions is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and predict phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and financial trends. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.