Using the ratio test to figure if the series is convergent

In summary: In this case, it simplifies to 2 x limx->\infty (1/(1+1/n))^n * (1/(n+1)). This can be rewritten as 2 x limx->\infty (1+1/n)^n * (1/(n+1)). As n goes to infinity, (1+1/n)^n approaches e, and (1/(n+1)) goes to 0. So the whole expression goes to 0. Therefore, the series is absolutely convergent and convergent. In summary, the series \sum (-2)^n/n^n is absolutely convergent and convergent by the ratio test. The expression (1/(1+1/n))^n
Aerospace93

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum[/itex] ftom n=1 to [itex]\infty[/itex] (-2)n/nn.

The Attempt at a Solution

limn->[itex]\infty[/itex] | (-2)n+1/(n+1)n+1) x nn/(-2)n | = |-2|limn->[itex]\infty[/itex] |(n/n+1)n*(1/n+1) |

If it were only (n/n+1) then would the answer be 2e? Either way, how do you sole this the way it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there are brackets missing.
(n/(n+1)^n) is smaller than 1, that is sufficient here. The other factor is more interesting.

Another way to look at it: The growth rate of n^n is faster than that of n!. If you replace n^n with n!, where does that leave you at?

Aerospace93 said:

Homework Statement

limn->[itex]\infty[/itex] | (-2)n+1/(n+1)n+1) x nn/(-2)n | = |-2|limn->[itex]\infty[/itex] |(n/n+1)n*(1/n+1) |

If it were only (n/n+1) then would the answer be 2e? Either way, how do you sole this the way it is?

If n > 3 then (2/n)^n < (2/3)^n.

Aerospace93 said:

Homework Statement

Notice that by the ratio test, the series of positive terms will converge and so Ʃan will be absolutely convergent which implies Ʃan will converge.

Zondrina said:
Notice that by the ratio test, the series of positive terms will converge and so Ʃan will be absolutely convergent which implies Ʃan will converge.

By the ratio test I'm left with: 2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] |nn/(n+1)n+1)| which is the same as what i previously wrote: 2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] [n/(n+1)]n*1/(n+1).

Dividing by the largest power of the polynomial in the denominator:
2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] [1/(1+1/n)]n*1/(n+1).-
so it becomes: 2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] |1n*[1/(1+n)] = 2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] 1n*0=0
ratio test = 0>1 therefore the series is absolutely convergent and therefore convergent.

The only thing I am not sure about doing in this problem really is how to deal with the numbers when i divide them by n when I'm working out the limit.

Aerospace93 said:
The only thing I am not sure about doing in this problem really is how to deal with the numbers when i divide them by n when I'm working out the limit.
You can always divide numerator and denominator by n, if you do it consistently (as n!=0).

Related to Using the ratio test to figure if the series is convergent

1. What is the ratio test?

The ratio test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series and comparing it to a critical value to determine convergence or divergence.

2. How do you use the ratio test to determine convergence?

To use the ratio test, you first take the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

3. What is the critical value in the ratio test?

The critical value in the ratio test is 1. If the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, the series is guaranteed to converge. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is guaranteed to diverge. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and further analysis is needed.

4. Are there any limitations to using the ratio test?

Yes, the ratio test can only be applied to series that contain positive terms and where the terms are either increasing or decreasing. It also cannot determine the convergence or divergence of alternating series.

5. Can the ratio test be used for all types of series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for certain types of series, specifically those that are infinite and contain positive terms. It is not applicable to finite series or series with alternating terms.