Using the Mean Value Theorem to Solve Equations

In summary: So ax + bx = cProblem 2:Given an equation in standard form, and a data point in that equation, find the slope and y-intercept.Attempt:First, find F(x). It's continuous and differentiable on the interval [a; b], such that: F(b) - F(a) = 0.Next, let x0 be the point where F'(x0) = 0.From (1), we have:x0 + F'(x0) = 0So x0 + F'(x0) = 0 is the only solution.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
Hi,

Okay, I just went over some old stuff this week to prepare for the next vast vast, upcoming test.

I came across a Logarithmic Equation book, well, it's more than 300 pages long, it covers most things from Exponential to Logarithm. :woot: I have read about 1/4 of it, and I was stuck. :cry:

There are some problems there, but it's like they give out 10 problems, and they only guide you to solve 2, or 3 of them. And the others, you have to do it on your own. >"<

The chapter I was reading was about Using the Mean Value Theorem to Equations. Here's a brief (well, not-so-short, to put it exactly) summary of this chapter, in case anyone needs it :smile:. The problems I stuck on are at the end of the post.

---------------------------------

Sumary:

Firstly, the book states the Lagrange's theorem:
If f(x) is continuous on the interval [a; b], and f(x) is differentiable on [a; b], then there will always exist a c on (a; b) such that:
[tex]f'(c) = \frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b - a}[/tex]​

Then, it says that there are 2 kinds of problems:

The first type:: Prove that the equation f(x) = 0 has root(s):

First step is to find F(x), the anti-derivative of f(x), differentiable, and continuous on the interval [a; b], such that: F(b) - F(a) = 0.

Then, there exists an x0 on (a; b), such that:
[tex]F'(x_0) = \frac{F(b) - F(a)}{b - a} = 0 \Rightarrow f(x_0) = 0[/tex]
So that means the equation f(x) = 0 has at least one root on (a; b).

Example:

Given a/3 + b/2 + c = 0, prove that
a22x + b2x + c = 0 always has solution.

Solution:

Let t = 2x ~~> t > 0
Consider F(t) = (a/3)t3 + (b/2)t2 + ct. It's differentiable, and continuous on [tex](0 ; \infty )[/tex]

F'(t) = at2 + bt + c = a22x + b2x + c

F(1) - F(0) = (a/3 + b/2 + c) - 0 = a/3 + b/2 + c = 0

So, the equation F'(t) = 0 (i.e at2 + bt + c = 0) always has solution on he interval (0; 1), hence, the former equation also has solution (Q.E.D)

The second type:: Solve an equation:

First step is to assume that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the solution to the equation.

Re-arrange the equation into the form f(a) = f(b), from there, find the appropriate f(t), continuous, and differentiable on [a; b].

Then, by using the Mean Value Theorem, we'll solve for [tex]\alpha[/tex].

And the last step is to check the solution.

Example:

Solve:

6x + 2x = 5x + 3x

Solution:

Re-arrange the equation to give:

6x - 5x = 3x - 2x

Assume that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the solution to the above equation. So, we have:

[tex]6 ^ \alpha - 5 ^ \alpha = 3 ^ \alpha - 2 ^ \alpha[/tex] (1)

Let [tex]f(t) = (t + 1) ^ \alpha - t ^ \alpha, \ \ \ \ \ t > 0[/tex], from (1), we have: f(5) = f(2)

By the Mean Value Theorem, there exists a c on the interval (2; 5), such that:

[tex]f'(c) = \frac{f(5) - f(2)}{5 - 2} = 0 \Rightarrow \alpha (c + 1) ^ {\alpha - 1} - \alpha c ^ {\alpha - 1} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \alpha \left[ (c + 1) ^ {\alpha - 1} - c ^ {\alpha - 1} \right] = 0 \Rightarrow \left[ \begin{array}{l} \alpha = 0 \\ \alpha = 1 \end{array} \right.[/tex]

So, the two solution to the equation is x = 0, or x = 1. After testing the two solution, we see that they are all valid.

Example:

Solve for x:

3cos(x) - 2cos(x) = cos(x)

Solution:

Re-arrange the equation to give:

3cos(x) -3 cos(x) = 2cos(x) - 2cos(x)

Assume that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the solution to the equation, we have:
[tex]3 ^ {\cos (\alpha) } - 3 \cos \alpha = 2 ^ {\cos (\alpha)} - 2 \cos \alpha[/tex] (2)

Let [tex]f(t) = t ^ {\cos \alpha} - t \cos \alpha[/tex]

From (2), we have: f(3) = f(2)

Applying the Mean Value Theorem, we have:

There exists a c on (2, 3), such that:

[tex]f'(c) = 0 \Rightarrow \left[c ^ {\cos \alpha} - 1 \right] \cos \alpha = 0 \Rightarrow \left[ \begin{array}{l} \cos \alpha = 0 \\ \cos \alpha = 1 \end{array} \right.[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \left[ \begin{array}{l} \alpha = \frac{\pi}{2} + k \pi \\ \alpha = 2 k' \pi \end{array} \right. , \ \ \ \ \ k, k' \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Testing the two solutions above, we see that they are all valid, so there are 2 solution to the equation:

[tex]\Rightarrow \left[ \begin{array}{l} x = \frac{\pi}{2} + k \pi \\ x = 2 k' \pi \end{array} \right. , \ \ \ \ \ k, k' \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

------------------------

Pfff, so, well, it's the summary.

And there are 2 problems I stuck on:

Problem 1:
Given a, b, c in Z+, i.e {1, 2, 3, 4, ...}, and a2 + b2 = c2

Prove that:
ax + bx = cx only has one solution.

Attempt:

a2 + b2 = c2 means that c > a, and c . b.

Divide both sides by cx, to get:

(a/c)x + (b/c)x = 1

The LHS is a decreasing function, hence, if there is root to the equation, it cannot be more than 1.

From the given condition, one can see that x = 2 is the only solution. :)

It seems correct. Except that I haven't used the fact that a, b, and c are in Z+, my solution is valid for, a, b, and c in R+. So, I think I must be missing something here. :frown:

Is it me, or the book mistype the Z+ thingy? Or does the book expect me to solve it in another way?

Problem 2:

Find all solution to the equation:
(1 + cos x)(2 + 4cos(x)) = 3 (4cos x)

Well, I have absolutely no idea how to start it. :cry: :cry: Some body please give me a start.

Thanks very much. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
Just looking at it before I tried anything, I see that cos x=1 is a solution.
So anywhere cos(x)=0 is a solution.
CC

happyg1 said:
Hey,
Just looking at it before I tried anything, I see that cos x=1 is a solution.
So anywhere cos(x)=0 is a solution.
CC

Yeah, even cos(x) = 1/2 is a solution, I got it when using Trial-and-Error method frantically. But, well, I cannot factor this expression, or re-arrange it to any desirable form. :frown:

Allright,
So I multiplied it out and I got:(letting cos(x)=a for easiness)
[tex]2+2a+a4^a+4^a=3(4^a)[/tex]
Then I used the following:
2=4-2
2a=4a-2a
[tex]2(4^a)=4(4^a)-2(2^a)[/tex]
[tex]a4^a=2a4^a-a4^a[/tex]
which gives:
[tex]4+4a+2a4^a-4(4^a)=2+2a+a4^a-2(2^a)[/tex]
So I think that works.
CC

happyg1 said:
Allright,
So I multiplied it out and I got:(letting cos(x)=a for easiness)
[tex]2+2a+a4^a+4^a=3(4^a)[/tex]
Then I used the following:
2=4-2
2a=4a-2a
[tex]2(4^a)=4(4^a)-2(2^a)[/tex]
[tex]a4^a=2a4^a-a4^a[/tex]
which gives:
[tex]4+4a+2a4^a-4(4^a)=2+2a+a4^a-2(2^a)[/tex]
So I think that works.
CC

Yeah, yeah, it works. :approve: Thanks a lot, mate.

Btw, I have one question. How can you split it into that form, is there anything that suggest you to do that, or you get it by chance? I don't think I can think of that re-arrangement though. :redface:

I just looked at the form of the terms and realizing that I needed the same types of terms on both sides of the equation, just divided each one up. After I multiplied it out and canceled the one [tex]4^a[/tex] term, I saw that the 4's and 2's for the coefficients would probably work. With just a little tinkering the thing fell out.

I didn't solve it past that. What did you get for solutions? Was the cos(x)=1 and cos(x)=1/2 all there were?
CC

Last edited:

Related to Using the Mean Value Theorem to Solve Equations

1. What is the difference between an exponential and a logarithm?

An exponential function is a mathematical expression in which a constant (called the base) is raised to a variable power. On the other hand, a logarithm is the inverse of an exponential function and represents the exponent or power to which the base must be raised to get a given number.

2. How do you convert an exponential expression to a logarithmic expression?

To convert an exponential expression to a logarithmic expression, you can use the base conversion formula: logb(x) = y is equivalent to by = x. This means that the logarithm of x with base b is equal to y, which is the exponent to which b must be raised to get x.

3. What is the relationship between exponential growth and logarithmic growth?

Exponential growth occurs when a quantity increases by a fixed percentage over a given time period. On the other hand, logarithmic growth occurs when a quantity increases at a decreasing rate over time. In other words, exponential growth is characterized by rapid and continuous growth, while logarithmic growth is characterized by slowing down as the quantity gets larger.

4. How are exponential and logarithmic functions used in real life?

Exponential and logarithmic functions are used in many real-life applications, such as population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and pH levels. They are also used in fields like biology, finance, and chemistry to model various natural phenomena and make predictions.

5. What is the natural logarithm and why is it important?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln(x), is a logarithm with base e (Euler's number, approximately 2.718). It is important because it has many applications in mathematics and science, especially in calculus and differential equations. It also has a special role in statistical analyses and probability calculations.