Using the limit definition (f(x+h)-f(x)\h

In summary, the conversation involved discussing the use of the limit definition in differentiating problems. The first question was about the value of the square root of 30, which is not 0 as it is a constant function. The second problem involved rewriting a function and using the limit definition to find its derivative, with some confusion over terminology and rationalizing the numerator. Eventually, the correct solution was reached with the help of other people.
helpm3pl3ase
I have to differentiate some problems using the limit definition (f(x+h)-f(x)\h), but Iam having some trouble on a couple.

1. Square root of 30 is 0 because its a constant correct?

2. R(t) = 5t^(-3/5) <---- I have tried this problem many times with the definition, but I can't come up with the correct solution and I don't know why!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1. correct2. rewrite this as [tex] 5\frac{d}{dt} \frac{1}{t^{\frac{3}{5}}} [/tex].

So: [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt[5]{(t+h)^{3}}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt[5]{t^{3}}} [/tex]. Subtract the fractions. Then rationalize the numerator. take the limit, and then multiply by 5.

Last edited:
1. Wow, I hate it when people misuse terminology so badly!

NO! [itex]\sqrt{30}[/itex] is NOT 0!. It is about 5.4! Of course, it is true that the derivative of the function [itex]f(x)= \sqrt{30}[/itex], since that is a constant function, is 0.

hmm iam still confused.. sorry
not about square root of 30.. about the next problem

courtigrad, you surely meant the derivative wrt. t, didn't you? ;)

yeah, just a typo. my bad. also i notice people type "courtigrad" instead of "courtrigrad".

the trouble is: what do you multiply the fraction by to rationalize the numerator.

[tex] t^{\frac{3}{5}} - (t+h)^{\frac{3}{5}} [/tex] multiplied by something to get [tex] t - (t+h) = -h [/tex]

For example, [tex] t^{\frac{1}{2}} - (t+h)^{\frac{1}{2}}(t^{\frac{1}{2}} + (t+h)^{\frac{1}{2}}) = -h [/tex]

Last edited:
Alright I got it.. Thanks Guys!

Related to Using the limit definition (f(x+h)-f(x)\h

1. What is the limit definition of a function?

The limit definition of a function is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach a certain value or point. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches or tends to as the input values get closer and closer to a given value.

2. How do you use the limit definition to find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function using the limit definition, you need to substitute the given value into the function and then evaluate the resulting expression. This will give you the value that the function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to the given value.

3. What is the significance of using the limit definition in calculus?

The limit definition is significant in calculus because it allows us to determine the behavior of a function at a given point or value. It is also essential in finding the derivatives and integrals of functions, which are fundamental concepts in calculus.

4. Can the limit definition be used to find the limit of any function?

Yes, the limit definition can be used to find the limit of any function, as long as the function is defined and continuous at the given point or value. However, for more complicated functions, other methods such as L'Hopital's rule or the use of limits laws may be more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using the limit definition to find limits?

One limitation of using the limit definition is that it can be time-consuming and tedious, especially for more complex functions. Additionally, the limit definition may not always give an exact value for the limit and may only provide an approximation. In such cases, other methods may be necessary to find the limit accurately.