Using the integral test to test for divergence/convergence

In summary, the student is trying to find the derivative of a function which is continuous, positive and decreasing for x > 1. However, they get stuck trying to find the critical points and forgot how to solve equations like 8-16x\arctan{x}=0.
miglo

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{8\arctan{n}}{1+n^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I am comparing it to the integral [itex]\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{8\arctan{x}}{1+x^2}[/itex]
but at first i need to show that the function I am integrating is continuous, positive and decreasing. I know its continuous and positive from 1 to infinity but i need to show that it is decreasing
so i found the derivative of the function and got [itex]\frac{8-16x\arctan{x}}{(1+x^2)^2}[/itex] but i got stuck trying to find the critical points
specifically i forgot how to solve equations like [itex]8-16x\arctan{x}=0[/itex], mainly just because of that extra x in front of the arctan
i know this boils down to more of a precalc problem but i posted this on the calc homework help because i thought maybe some of my earlier steps were wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
miglo said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{8\arctan{n}}{1+n^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I am comparing it to the integral [itex]\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{8\arctan{x}}{1+x^2}[/itex]
but at first i need to show that the function I am integrating is continuous, positive and decreasing. I know its continuous and positive from 1 to infinity but i need to show that it is decreasing
so i found the derivative of the function and got [itex]\frac{8-16x\arctan{x}}{(1+x^2)^2}[/itex] but i got stuck trying to find the critical points
specifically i forgot how to solve equations like [itex]8-16x\arctan{x}=0[/itex], mainly just because of that extra x in front of the arctan
i know this boils down to more of a precalc problem but i posted this on the calc homework help because i thought maybe some of my earlier steps were wrong
I don't see anything wrong with your work.

The equation you're trying to solve can be simplified to 2x arctan(x) = 1. I don't know of any ways to get analytic solutions to this equation, but approximation techniques yield solutions at [itex]x \approx \pm 0.765379[/itex], according to WolframAlpha. From the graph here, you can say that 1 - 2xarctan(x) < 0 for all x > 1, hence the derivative you've found is negative for x > 1.

yeah i tried wolfram alpha, but it didnt show any steps on how to solve that equation, was looking for an analytic solution but this will have to do
thanks mark44

Related to Using the integral test to test for divergence/convergence

What is the integral test?

The integral test is a method in calculus used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the series to an appropriate integral and using properties of integrals to determine the behavior of the series.

When is the integral test applicable?

The integral test is applicable to infinite series with positive terms that are decreasing. It is also applicable to series with non-negative terms that are eventually decreasing.

How do you use the integral test?

To use the integral test, you must first determine if the series satisfies the conditions for applicability. Then, you need to find an appropriate integral to compare the series to. Finally, you can use the properties of integrals to determine if the series converges or diverges.

What is the relationship between the integral test and the comparison test?

The integral test and the comparison test are similar in that they both involve comparing a given series to another series or function to determine its convergence or divergence. However, the integral test is often easier to apply as it only requires knowledge of integrals and their properties.

Are there any limitations to using the integral test?

Yes, the integral test can only be used to determine the convergence or divergence of series with positive terms. It is also not applicable to series with oscillating or alternating terms. Additionally, the integral test may not always give a definitive answer and may require further analysis to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.