Using Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses using the formula \mathcal L(f(t-a)u(t-a) = e^{-as}\mathcal Lf(t) to find the Laplace transform of f(t)u4(t) = f(t)u(t-4). The key is to express f(t) in powers of (t-4) and then take the transform as though all the t-a terms were t and multiply the result by e-as. It is important to go up through the 4th derivative since the polynomial is 4th degree, and the 5th derivative and above would be 0.
jofree87
Ive attached the problem and my work in the pic.

Questions:

Am I even applying the taylor polynomial the correct way? (I never learned taylor series, but I was supposed to be taught in the pre-requisite class)

Am I suppose to plug in c=4? I am not so sure about how the U4(t) works.

After I have found the taylor polynomial, do I just take the laplace transform of it, and then that is my answer?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20110920_131227.jpg
    IMG_20110920_131227.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem you want to make use of the forumula

[tex]\mathcal L(f(t-a)u(t-a) = e^{-as}\mathcal Lf(t)[/tex]

but you need to take the transform of f(t)u4(t) = f(t)u(t-4), which isn't in that form. So to use the above formula, you need to express f(t) in powers of (t-4).

Once you have the Taylor polynomial, you would take its transform as though all the t-a terms were t and multiply the result by e-as.

I didn't check your arithmetic but be sure you go up through the 4th derivative since you have a 4th degree polynomial and the 5th derivative and above would be 0.

[Edit] Your numbers are OK but you need that last term to get the 4th degree.

Last edited:
ok, I see now. Thanks for the help!

Related to Using Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms

1. What is a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms?

A Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function in terms of a series of polynomials. It is commonly used in the field of mathematics and engineering to simplify complex functions and make calculations easier.

2. How is a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms calculated?

To calculate a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms, the function is first transformed into a series of derivatives at a given point. These derivatives are then combined with a specific formula to create a polynomial that closely approximates the original function.

3. What is the purpose of using a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms?

The purpose of using a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms is to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with. It allows for more accurate and efficient calculations, especially when dealing with large or complicated functions.

4. What are the advantages of using a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms?

There are several advantages to using a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms. It can help to reduce errors in calculations, provide a more accurate representation of the original function, and make it easier to analyze and manipulate complex functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms?

While a Taylor Polynomial for Laplace Transforms can be a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not always be able to accurately represent highly oscillatory or discontinuous functions. Additionally, the accuracy of the polynomial may decrease as the order of the polynomial increases.