Using suvat to find time traveled by a cannonball

In summary, the conversation is about finding the time it takes for a cannonball fired from a cannon in a castle to hit a ship at a horizontal distance of 150 metres. The height of the cannon above the castle is 67 metres and the answer is 3.7 seconds. The relevant equations used are the SUVAT equations and trigonometry equations. The conversation also includes a discussion about finding the final velocity and a list of five equations that relate the known quantities to the unknown one.
Camden
Homework Statement
In a Castle a cannon is in place to fire at ships.
One ship was hit by a cannonball at a horizontal distance of 150 metres from the cannon.
The height from the cannon above the castle was 67 metres
I need to show the time that was taken from the cannonball to hit the ship.
My attempt is in the attached photo
The answer is 3.7s but I’m not sure how to get to the answer.
Relevant Equations
Suvat equations
Trigonometry equations
Everything is in the photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 87
Physics news on Phys.org
Camden said:
Homework Statement:: In a Castle a cannon is in place to fire at ships.
One ship was hit by a cannonball at a horizontal distance of 150 metres from the cannon.
The height from the cannon above the castle was 67 metres
I need to show the time that was taken from the cannonball to hit the ship.
My attempt is in the attached photo
The answer is 3.7s but I’m not sure how to get to the answer.
Relevant Equations:: Suvat equations
Trigonometry equations

Everything is in the photo
You have a little section of the photo with:
photo said:
Vertically
s = 67 m
u = 0 m/s
v =
a = 9.8 m/s2
t = 3.7 s
How did you obtain that t value?

Likes Camden
jbriggs444 said:
You have a little section of the photo with:

How did you obtain that t value?
The t value was given to me
I had to prove that t was 3.7s

Camden said:
The t value was given to me
I had to prove that t was 3.7s
That little section has the letters S U V A T in that order. Can you find a SUVAT equation that relates the values you know to the one you want to know? (The one you want to know is t).

Likes Camden
jbriggs444 said:
That little section has the letters S U V A T in that order. Can you find a SUVAT equation that relates the values you know to the one you want to know? (The one you want to know is t).
Yes I am trying to find the t equation but I need to find distance over speed and I know the difference just what I’m stuck on is the speed

Camden said:
Yes I am trying to find the t equation but I need to find distance over speed and I know the difference just what I’m stuck on is the speed
You have initial velocity, acceleration and distance travelled. You want to determine time. Surely there is an equation relating those four quantities.

And no, you do not need to find distance divided by speed.

Likes Camden
jbriggs444 said:
You have initial velocity, acceleration and distance travelled. You want to determine time. Surely there is an equation relating those four quantities.
Yes I need to find time but I also need to find final velocity. I don’t know which formula to use

Camden said:
Yes I need to find time but I also need to find final velocity. I don’t know which formula to use
Well, I do not have a list of SUVAT formulas in a textbook because it has been some 40 years since I had a physics textbook. But Google is my friend. I bet I can find a complete list of SUVAT formulas pretty quickly.

Let's Google "suvat equations" and see what we get.

Wikipedia has an article -- "equations of motion". Wiki is pretty good, though with a tendency to get long winded and overly technical on occasion. We'd be better served by simplicity here. But let's give that article a try.

Here we go. They have a relevant section.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Uniform_acceleration said:
In elementary physics the same formulae are frequently written in different notation as:

##v=u + at##
##s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2##
##s = \frac{1}{2}(u + v)t##
##v^2 = u^2 + 2as##
##s = vt - \frac{1}{2}at^2##
[Re-rendered by hand -- I tried and failed to re-tag the LaTeX code in the original]
One of those equations relates the three quantities that you know with the one that you want to confirm.

[Five equations... Of course there are five. There are five variables - S, U, V, A and T. Each of the five equations leaves one of the variables out and relates the other four. I'd never bothered thinking about that until today. If you solved each equation in turn for each of its four variables, that would give you a list totaling twenty equations. I guess that would be useful for the algebra-challenged, but personally I hate memorization worse than algebra. As it turns out, a pre-cooked solution to a quadratic would be a lot messier than the special case we are faced with here, so algebra is our friend]

Once you get time, you can use it to determine final velocity.

Last edited:
Likes Camden
jbriggs444 said:
Well, I do not have a list of SUVAT formulas in a textbook because it has been some 40 years since I had a physics textbook. But Google is my friend. I bet I can find a complete list of SUVAT formulas pretty quickly.

Let's Google "suvat equations" and see what we get.

Wikipedia has an article -- "equations of motion". Wiki is pretty good, though with a tendency to get long winded and overly technical on occasion. We'd be better served by simplicity here. But let's give that article a try.

Here we go. They have a relevant section.

One of those equations relates the three quantities that you know with the one that you want to confirm.

[Five equations... Of course there are five. There are five variables - S, U, V, A and T. Each of the five equations leaves one of the variables out and relates the other four. I'd never bothered thinking about that until today. If you solved each equation in turn for each of its four variables, that would give you a list totaling twenty equations. I guess that would be useful for the algebra-challenged, but personally I hate memorization worse than algebra. As it turns out, a pre-cooked solution to a quadratic would be a lot messier than the special case we are faced with here, so algebra is our friend]

Once you get time, you can use it to determine final velocity.
Thankyou!

Related to Using suvat to find time traveled by a cannonball

1. How do I use suvat to find the time traveled by a cannonball?

To use suvat (also known as the SUVAT equations) to find the time traveled by a cannonball, you will need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and displacement of the cannonball. These values can be plugged into the appropriate equation to solve for time.

2. What are the SUVAT equations?

The SUVAT equations are a set of equations used in physics to describe the motion of an object with constant acceleration. They are named after the five variables they use: s (displacement), u (initial velocity), v (final velocity), a (acceleration), and t (time).

3. Can the SUVAT equations be used for objects with non-constant acceleration?

No, the SUVAT equations can only be used for objects with constant acceleration. If the acceleration is changing, more complex equations must be used to calculate the time traveled by a cannonball.

4. How accurate are the results when using suvat to find the time traveled by a cannonball?

The accuracy of the results will depend on the accuracy of the initial values used in the equations. If the initial values are measured accurately, the results should be fairly accurate. However, factors such as air resistance and other external forces may affect the accuracy of the results.

5. Are there any limitations to using suvat to find the time traveled by a cannonball?

Yes, there are some limitations to using suvat to find the time traveled by a cannonball. As mentioned before, the equations can only be used for objects with constant acceleration. Additionally, the equations do not take into account external forces, such as air resistance, which may affect the motion of the cannonball. In these cases, more complex equations or experimental data may be needed to accurately calculate the time traveled.