Using SUVAT and Newton's Second Law

In summary: Thank you for all the help Tanya! I have given you a "Thanks" point, if that is even what they are...
Apothem

Homework Statement

"A block of mass 10kg is pulled 20m up a smooth plane inclined at 45 degrees to the horizontal. The block is initially at rest and reaches a velocity of 2.0m/s at the tope of the plane. Calculate the magnitude of the force required, assuming it acts parallel to the plane."

Homework Equations

I am unsure about the question answer, but for my attempt I used v2=u2+2as, and rearranged it to find a, then used f=ma, to find the force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram with a horizontal line and a line at 45 degrees to that, I then used the equation as above, rearranged to find a as 0.1ms-2 (v=2 , u=0 , s=20, so I used the rearranged formula and got a=0.1ms-2). I then substituted this value for a into F=ma, with m being the mass of 10kg, however, the only thing I am unsure about is whether I have calculated the value of a correctly to begin with, then I can easily use F=ma. All help appreciated! EDIT: So the final force I calculated was 1N.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Apothem...

Welcome to PF!

Your value of acceleration is correct,assuming constant acceleration .But using F=Ma will give you F which is net force acting on the block,not the force which pulls the block up the inclined plane.

What are the forces acting on the block along the inclined plane ?

Edit:Are you required to calculate the net force or the force which pulls the block up the inclined plane ?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Apothem...

Welcome to PF!

Your value of acceleration is correct,assuming constant acceleration .But using F=Ma will give you F which is net force acting on the block,not the force which pulls the block up the inclined plane.

What are the forces acting on the block along the inclined plane ?

Thanks for the nice welcome Tanya!
That is all the question says word for word, which I put up in the first post. So...
EDIT: I think it is the force which pulls the block up the inclined plane.

Apothem said:
Thanks for the nice welcome Tanya!
That is all the question says word for word, which I put up in the first post. So...
EDIT: I think it is the force which pulls the block up the inclined plane.

How did you get 0.05N ?

Tanya Sharma said:
How did you get 0.05N ?

Sorry, I didn't mean 0.05, used a figure from a different question, so using F=ma (m=10kg , a =0.1ms-2, F=1N)

Apothem said:
Sorry, I didn't mean 0.05, used a figure from a different question, so using F=ma (m=10kg , a =0.1ms-2, F=1N)

Okay..Now F=1N is the net force on the block .The net force is the resultant of all the forces acting on the block along the incline i.e parallel to the incline . But you need the force (assuming constant) that pulls the block .

So what are the forces acting on the block along the incline ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Okay..Now F=1N is the net force on the block .The net force is the resultant of all the forces acting on the block along the incline i.e parallel to the incline . But you need the force (assuming constant) that pulls the block .

So what are the forces acting on the block along the incline ?

Sorry I think all I need to know is, the force parallel to the incline (because the question says: "Calculate the magnitude of the force required, assuming it acts parallel to the plane), because the question does not give you any forces acting on the block along the incline, so that means the only force we could calculate is 1N, so is this right? (for the force which acts parallel to the plane?).

What have you studied in the class about "Force" ? Have you touched upon FBD's (Free Body Diagrams) ?

Tanya Sharma said:
What have you studied in the class about "Force" ? Have you touched upon FBD's (Free Body Diagrams) ?

Would it show all the forces acting upon the block?. So the weight would be vertically down the slope etc.

Weight(Force due to gravity) always acts vertically downwards ,not vertically down the slope.

Anyways...You didn't answer my question - Have you studied FBD's ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Weight(Force due to gravity) always acts vertically downwards ,not vertically down the slope.

Anyways...You didn't answer my question - Have you studied FBD's ?

I meant the component of weight down the slope sorry, we did one question which used a FBD, however it was not explained.

Well..in that case,it looks like the question is asking for net force . F=1N is the correct answer .

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
Well..in that case,it looks like the question is asking for net force . F=1N is the correct answer .

Thank you for all the help Tanya! I have given you a "Thanks" point, if that is even what they are called!

Apothem said:
Thank you for all the help Tanya! I have given you a "Thanks" point, if that is even what they are called!

You are welcome !

Thanks for the "Thanks" :smile:

Related to Using SUVAT and Newton's Second Law

1. What is SUVAT?

SUVAT is a set of equations used in kinematics to describe the motion of objects. It stands for displacement (S), initial velocity (U), final velocity (V), acceleration (A), and time (T).

2. How do you use SUVAT equations?

To use SUVAT equations, you need to have at least three known values and one unknown value. You can then plug those values into the appropriate SUVAT equation to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. It can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. How do SUVAT and Newton's Second Law relate?

SUVAT equations can be used to solve problems involving Newton's Second Law. By using the equations, you can determine the acceleration of an object and then use Newton's Second Law to calculate the force acting on the object.

5. What are some common mistakes when using SUVAT and Newton's Second Law?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect units, not accounting for the direction of the forces, and not using the correct SUVAT equation for the given scenario. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double check all calculations to avoid these errors.