Using Surface Integrals, calculate the area that vanishes with this rising tide

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to do an integral and the importance of getting the size correct. The speaker also mentions the difficulty of getting a finite answer and the benefits of learning LaTeX for better communication on the forum.
daphnelee-mh
Homework Statement
attached below
Relevant Equations
A=sqrt[1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2]dA
1593820324786.png

Please help to see whether it's correct to do in this way

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that looks correct to me. I would put the limits of the inner integral the other way around - highest on the top - because the integral you gave will give you a negative number. But the size will be correct, and that's what really matters.

andrewkirk said:
Yes that looks correct to me. I would put the limits of the inner integral the other way around - highest on the top - because the integral you gave will give you a negative number. But the size will be correct, and that's what really matters.
Ya, I changed the inner integral and tried to evaluate, seems hard to get a finite answer
1593830154785.png

The slope of the coast is quite small, so it will be very close to ##\Delta(\pi r^2)##

daphnelee-mh said:
Ya, I changed the inner integral and tried to evaluate, seems hard to get a finite answer
View attachment 265808
People are answering to you even when you have not posted in latex (that’s the spirit of PhysicsForums’ users) but as a friend believe me learning latex will help you in learning more and more from this forum. People will be able to answer you more instantly and willingly.

Hoping you’re in good health and safe.

Likes Delta2

Related to Using Surface Integrals, calculate the area that vanishes with this rising tide

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over the surface, which represents the area of the surface.

2. How do you calculate the area using surface integrals?

To calculate the area using surface integrals, you first need to parameterize the surface by defining a function that maps a two-dimensional region onto the surface. Then, you integrate this function over the surface to find the area.

3. What is the significance of using surface integrals to calculate the area that vanishes with a rising tide?

The area that vanishes with a rising tide represents the amount of land that is submerged as the water level rises. By using surface integrals, we can accurately calculate this area and understand the impact of rising tides on coastal regions.

4. Can surface integrals be used for any type of surface?

Yes, surface integrals can be used for any type of surface, including flat surfaces, curved surfaces, and even surfaces with holes or irregular shapes. As long as the surface can be parameterized, surface integrals can be used to calculate its area.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using surface integrals to calculate the area that vanishes with a rising tide?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using surface integrals to calculate the area that vanishes with a rising tide. For example, it can help coastal engineers and planners understand the potential impact of sea level rise on coastal communities and design appropriate mitigation strategies.