Using rotating vector to draw sine waves

In summary, the idea is that a radius of a circle rotating anti-clockwise can be used to draw a sine wave. This may seem unnatural, but it is a convention that everyone must follow. If the rotation is seen from above, it can be represented by a vector in the positive z direction. This convention is also useful in signal processing, where frequency is a signed number, and can be applied to right-handed axes for a better visual representation in 3D. However, some textbooks may show the vector rotating clockwise, which goes against this convention. This is not wrong, but it is unconventional.
Emilyjoint
We have met the idea that a radius of a circle rotating ANTI-CLOCKWISE can be used to draw a sine wave... I get that... it is a great idea but...why does it have to be rotating anti-clockwise. That seems so un natural to me. We were told it is a convention. Does that mean it is something everyone has to follow??

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a convention but it is a sensible one!
If you sketch a sine wave it starts at zero and rises up to a max, comes down and goes to a negative max before returning to zero... one cycle...This what you get if you project the radius vector horizontally and you start with the radius as a horizontal line along the x-axis and it rotates anticlockwise

Yes, everyone has to follow it. Otherwise it wouldn't be convention, would it?

absolutely...unfortunately I have a textbook that shows the vector rotating clockwise...I forbid the use of this book in physics lessons.
All the diagrams in this section of the book are 'upside down' ...not wrong... but unconventional.

Emilyjoint,
There is a little more to it than this.
In the signal processing field, frequency is a signed number. This is very common when characterizing modulation. The phaser can rotate either direction, ccw for positive frequencies, cw for negative.
Deciding which rotational direction is positive is analogous to deciding which direction on the x-axis is positive.

Last edited:
What I like about the convention is how things appear in 3D... Imagine a set of right-handed axes. Suppose we have rotation in the x-y plane which is anticlockwise when seen from 'above', that is from somewhere with positive z. Then using a right-handed screw rule, the rotation is represented by a (pseudo)vector in the +z direction.

Well, I like it ...

Related to Using rotating vector to draw sine waves

1. What is a rotating vector?

A rotating vector is a mathematical concept that represents a vector (a quantity with magnitude and direction) that is constantly changing its direction and magnitude as it rotates around a fixed point.

2. How is a rotating vector used to draw sine waves?

A rotating vector can be used to draw sine waves by attaching one end of the vector to a fixed point and tracing the other end as it rotates around the point. The vertical position of the traced end of the vector at any given time represents the y-value of the sine wave at that point.

3. What are the advantages of using a rotating vector to draw sine waves?

One advantage of using a rotating vector is that it allows for a visual representation of the mathematical concept of a sine wave. It also provides a simple and intuitive way to create and manipulate sine waves, making it useful for educational purposes.

4. Are there any limitations to using a rotating vector to draw sine waves?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the drawn sine wave is dependent on the precision of the rotation of the vector, which can be difficult to achieve for very small or very large sine waves. Additionally, the technique may not be suitable for creating complex or highly detailed sine waves.

5. Can a rotating vector be used to draw other types of waves?

Yes, a rotating vector can be used to draw various types of waves, such as cosine waves, tangent waves, and more. The concept can also be extended to other mathematical functions, such as logarithmic or exponential functions.