Using Rolle's Theorem to Find Extremes of f(x) = sin 2x

In summary, the conversation discusses using Rolle's theorem to find the maximum and minimum extremes of a function on the interval [0, 1/2pi]. The process involves finding the derivative of the function, solving for x using the chain rule, and using the theorem to find a number c where f'(c) = 0. The conversation also mentions the importance of using the open interval (0, pi/2) and solving for c using the equation 2cos(2c) = 0.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

I need to use Rolle's theorem to find analitically the maxium and the minimun extremes on the interval [0 , 1/2pi] .

So I think I must first find the derivative of the fuction and to solve for x

the function given is f(x) = sin 2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure about how to start the product rule

is it like this?

sin x (2x)

then the product rule would be

sin x (2) + 2x (cos x) ?

I have no idea about how to solve for x.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no product rule to be applied.
sin(2x) is something different than sin(x) * 2x.
If you call f(x) = sin(x), this is easier to see (f(2x) and 2 x f(x) are completely different things, and the derivative of f(2x) is not 2f(x) + 2x f'(x), or something like that).

What you are looking for is the chain rule.

CompuChip said:
There is no product rule to be applied.
sin(2x) is something different than sin(x) * 2x.
If you call f(x) = sin(x), this is easier to see (f(2x) and 2 x f(x) are completely different things, and the derivative of f(2x) is not 2f(x) + 2x f'(x), or something like that).

What you are looking for is the chain rule.

ok using f ' (g) g'(x) resulted on cos(2x) 2 that is I think 2 cos 2x .

Now I am not sure about what to do next in order to look for the maximum and minimum extremes on the function.

On previous examples that were not trigonometric functions I solved for x on the original function and I also solved for x on the derivative and I found the critical points that way.

How can I find the critical points of f ?

What does Rolle's Theorem say? You have a function, f(x) = sin(2x) for which f(0) = f(pi/2) = 0, and f is a differentiable function (you found its derivative).

Mark44 said:
What does Rolle's Theorem say? You have a function, f(x) = sin(2x) for which f(0) = f(pi/2) = 0, and f is a differentiable function (you found its derivative).

So the zeros are 0 and pi/2 . The function is continuous on [0,pi/2] and differentiable on
(0,pi/2)

Well I graphed the function and the maximum extreme is obiously 1 but if I evaluate
2cos(2x) that is the derivtive of f by 0 I get

2cos(0) = 2

what am I doing wrong?

Jimmy84 said:
So the zeros are 0 and pi/2 . The function is continuous on [0,pi/2] and differentiable on
(0,pi/2)
What does Rolle's Theorem conclude?
Jimmy84 said:
Well I graphed the function and the maximum extreme is obiously 1 but if I evaluate
2cos(2x) that is the derivtive of f by 0 I get

2cos(0) = 2

what am I doing wrong?
Why would you want to evaluate f'(0)?

You've shown that the derivative of sin(2x) is 2 at x=0. Nothing in math says that the derivative can't be larger than the maximum value of the function.

Draw out a rough sketch of sin(2x). What's the slope of the tangent line equal to at the highest and lowest points?

Note that you should be able to solve this question intuitively, without using calculus. What's the maximum and minimum values of any sine function?

ideasrule said:
You've shown that the derivative of sin(2x) is 2 at x=0. Nothing in math says that the derivative can't be larger than the maximum value of the function.

Draw out a rough sketch of sin(2x). What's the slope of the tangent line equal to at the highest and lowest points?

Note that you should be able to solve this question intuitively, without using calculus. What's the maximum and minimum values of any sine function?

The derivative of any maximum or minimum equals to 0
and the pourpose of Rolle's theorem as far as I know is to show that there is a number c in the interval [0,pi/2] such that f '(c) = 0

Im being asked to find c as well. how can I find c ?

I think c is called a critical point as well.

by the way the answer in my book is 1/4pi I don't understand how that happened.

Jimmy84 said:
The derivative of any maximum or minimum equals to 0
This is not necessarily true. For example, the minimum value of y = f(x) = |x| is 0, and it occurs at x = 0, but f'(x) is never equal to 0 for this function.
Jimmy84 said:
and the pourpose of Rolle's theorem as far as I know is to show that there is a number c in the interval [0,pi/2] such that f '(c) = 0
Close. Rolle's Thm says that there is a number c in the open interval (0, pi/2) such that f'(c) = 0.

That means that for some number 0 < c < pi/2, 2cos(2c) = 0. Can you solve this equation?
Jimmy84 said:
Im being asked to find c as well. how can I find c ?

I think c is called a critical point as well.

Mark44 said:
This is not necessarily true. For example, the minimum value of y = f(x) = |x| is 0, and it occurs at x = 0, but f'(x) is never equal to 0 for this function.

Close. Rolle's Thm says that there is a number c in the open interval (0, pi/2) such that f'(c) = 0.

That means that for some number 0 < c < pi/2, 2cos(2c) = 0. Can you solve this equation?

Thanks, that's right I think that f '(x) = |x| is undefined at x= 0 .

no, I can't solve that equation this is kind of new to me. that's the main issue I am having with this problem so I don't have a clue. I don't remember ever solving variable equations like that.

I guess that by guessing it could be factorized like this

2 (cos (c)) = 0

but that's about it.

Last edited:
I don't think that this is right but anyway

2cos(2c) = 0

2c = 1/2 cos x = c = 1/4 cos x

but I don't understand where did pi came from in c = 1/4pi which is the original result of the book.

Can you give me a hint?

Jimmy84 said:
Thanks, that's right I think that f(x) = |x| is undefined at x= 0 .
No, f(x) = |x| is defined for all values of x, but for this function, f' is not defined at x = 0.
Jimmy84 said:
no, I can't solve that equation this is kind of new to me. that's the main issue I am having with this problem so I don't have a clue. I don't remember ever solving variable equations like that.

I guess that by guessing it could be factorized like this

2 (cos (c)) = 0

but that's about it.

Jimmy84 said:
I don't think that this is right but anyway

2cos(2c) = 0

2c = 1/2 cos x = c = 1/4 cos x

but I don't understand where did pi came from in c = 1/4pi which is the original result of the book.

Can you give me a hint?
Yes - it's not right.

2cos(2c) = 0
==> cos(2c) = 0

Now, I'm hopeful that you have seen the graph of y = cos(x).
For what values of x is cos(x) = 0? One of them is pi/2 and there are lots and lots of values.

The same values of x for which cos(x) = 0 are the same values of 2c, so what are the values of c?

Mark44 said:
Yes - it's not right.

2cos(2c) = 0
==> cos(2c) = 0

Now, I'm hopeful that you have seen the graph of y = cos(x).
For what values of x is cos(x) = 0? One of them is pi/2 and there are lots and lots of values.

The same values of x for which cos(x) = 0 are the same values of 2c, so what are the values of c?

Ok, thanks for your time Mark, take care.

Related to Using Rolle's Theorem to Find Extremes of f(x) = sin 2x

1. What is Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, and the function's values at the endpoints of the interval are equal, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. How is Rolle's Theorem used to find extremes of a function?

Rolle's Theorem can be used to find extremes of a function by first finding the critical points of the function, which are the points where the derivative is equal to zero. These critical points correspond to the maximum and minimum values of the function within the given interval.

3. How do you apply Rolle's Theorem to the function f(x) = sin 2x?

To apply Rolle's Theorem to the function f(x) = sin 2x, you need to first determine the interval over which you want to find the extremes. Then, take the derivative of the function, which in this case is f'(x) = 2cos 2x. Set the derivative equal to zero and solve for x to find the critical points. Finally, plug these critical points back into the original function to find the corresponding y-values at the extremes.

4. Can Rolle's Theorem be used to find all the extremes of a function?

No, Rolle's Theorem can only be used to find the extremes of a function within a given interval. It does not guarantee that all the extremes of a function will be found, as there may be critical points outside of the given interval or the function may have other types of extremes such as inflection points.

5. What are the limitations of using Rolle's Theorem to find extremes?

Rolle's Theorem can only be applied to continuous and differentiable functions, so it may not be applicable to all types of functions. Additionally, it can only find the extremes within a given interval, so it may not provide a complete picture of the function's behavior. It is also important to note that finding the critical points does not guarantee that they are actual extremes of the function, as they could be points of inflection or points where the derivative is undefined.