Using recurrence formula to solve Legendre polynomial integral

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the expression $$ \int _{0}^{1}p_{l}(x)dx=\frac{p_{l-1}(0)}{l+1} \quad \text{for }l \geq 1 $$ using the relation $$lp_l(x)+p'_{l-1}-xp_l(x)=0$$ and integration by parts. It also references a paper with a different formula for the integral and suggests checking the formulas with another source. Finally, a typo in the original formula is identified and the correct result is given as $$ \int\limits_{0}^{1}P_l(x) \, dx=(P_l(1)+P_{l
TheGreatDeadOne
TL;DR Summary
Using recurrence formula to solve Legendre polynomial integral
I am trying to prove the following expression below:

$$ \int _{0}^{1}p_{l}(x)dx=\frac{p_{l-1}(0)}{l+1} \quad \text{for }l \geq 1 $$

The first thing I did was use the following relation:

$$lp_l(x)+p'_{l-1}-xp_l(x)=0$$

Substituting in integral I get:

$$\frac{1}{l}\left[ \int_0^1 xp'_l(x)dx \quad- \quad \int_0^1 p'_{l-1}(x)dx\right]$$

For the first integral (from the left), I use integration by parts, making u = x and v'= p′l(x) ( I also tried to apply $p_1(x) = x$), and for the second I just integrate. But I end up getting stuck in that part, because I kind of don't know the best way to solve it. I don't know how to make the uv part disappear. I'm a little confused by the integral of $p′_{l−1}$ (My doubt is in relation to the term with upper limit, also I don't know how to disappear with it)
I'm stuck here(I think it's wrong):

$$ Il= p_l(x) - p_{l-1}(1) + p_{l-1}(0) - \int_0^1 p_l(x)dx \quad \rightarrow \frac{I(1+l)}{l}=p_l(x) - p_{l-1}(1) + p_{l-1}(0)$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
doesn't look like you did the substitution correctly, try again.

Likes TheGreatDeadOne
See http://physicspages.com/pdf/Mathematics/Legendre%20polynomials%20-%20recurrence.pdf
It might be worth checking your formulas with another source.

Using (25) in the above paper, I get ## \int\limits_{0}^{1}P_l(x) \, dx=(P_l(1)+P_{l-1}(0)-P_{l-1}(1))/(l+1) ##.
Edit: I also see somewhere in the literature that ##P_l(1)= 1## for all ## l ##, so only the middle term is needed in the numerator.
(25) shows the ## x P_l(x) ## term you have should be ## x P_l'(x) ##. I see that appears to be just a typo on your part. Do it carefully, you should get the correct result, with the numerator as described above.

Last edited:
Likes TheGreatDeadOne

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of mathematical functions that are used to solve differential equations and other problems in physics and engineering. They are named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre.

2. What is a recurrence formula?

A recurrence formula is a mathematical equation that expresses the value of a function or sequence in terms of its previous values. It is used to simplify the calculation of complex functions or sequences.

3. How are Legendre polynomials used to solve integrals?

Legendre polynomials can be used to solve integrals by using a recurrence formula known as the Rodrigues formula. This formula allows for the integration of a function using the Legendre polynomials as a basis, making it easier to solve complex integrals.

4. Are there any limitations to using recurrence formula to solve Legendre polynomial integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to using recurrence formula to solve Legendre polynomial integrals. These limitations include the complexity of the integral and the availability of closed-form solutions. In some cases, other methods may be more efficient or accurate.

5. How do I know when to use recurrence formula to solve Legendre polynomial integrals?

The decision to use recurrence formula to solve Legendre polynomial integrals depends on the complexity and availability of closed-form solutions for the integral. It is important to consider other methods and consult with experts in the field to determine the most appropriate approach for a specific problem.