Using Peltier Plates for heating

In summary, the conversation is about using peltier plates for heating rather than cooling and the speaker is looking for suggestions on a low specific heat liquid to use for their project. They also mention using 3 TEC1-12712 peltier plates and have unlimited electricity. There is a discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of using peltier plates for heating versus standard heating elements.
juyoung518
I know that peltier plates are for cooling(mostly :smile:) but I wish to try out heating other substances using peltier plates.
I'm planning to use 3 peltier plates (TEC1-12712) [maximum temperature difference of 70 degrees measured at 25 degrees / Maximum temperature difference of 80 degrees measured at 50 degrees / can stand up to 83 degrees celcius] to heat liquid(around 100ml) to around 50~60 degrees(the higher the better).
And yeah, unlimited electricity.

Could anyone suggest a liquid that has low specific heat for this project?
And is this project technically possible?

I've never used a peltier plate to heat something before.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I played around with a peltier plate a few years ago...had never seen one...disassembled the layers,etc...from a refrigerator...unit had one not working, the connections had come loose a common problem I found, and the other plate worked but did not seem to do much cooling...I don't remember the voltage, but I recall of a low voltage converter being used...

I believe yours a is a low voltage unit??

Id [specs] are here if you have not see them..looks like yours is 12 amps...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling#Uses

Table of specific heats is here...not a lot of variation for the few liquids shown.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity#Table_of_specific_heat_capacities

juyoung518 said:
unlimited electricity

If you have unlimited electricity why not use standard heating elements. They are cheaper, more reliable and durable and can be driven at much higher powers and temperatures. The only advantages of TECs are that they are a bit more efficient and they can be used to cool as well. If neither of these are requirements I would suggest using a regular heating element.

BoB

Related to Using Peltier Plates for heating

1. How do Peltier plates work?

Peltier plates work by using the thermoelectric effect, which is the conversion of temperature differences into electricity and vice versa. They consist of two semiconductor materials that are connected to a power source. When a current is applied, one side of the plate gets hot while the other side gets cold. This allows for heat to be transferred from one side to the other.

2. What are the advantages of using Peltier plates for heating?

One major advantage of using Peltier plates for heating is their compact size and versatility. They can be easily integrated into a variety of systems and do not require any external moving parts. Additionally, they have a fast response time and can be controlled precisely for temperature regulation.

3. What are the limitations of Peltier plates for heating?

While Peltier plates have many advantages, they also have some limitations for heating purposes. They are not as efficient as other heating methods, such as resistive heating, and can only achieve a maximum temperature difference of about 70 degrees Celsius. They also require a significant amount of power to operate.

4. How do I choose the right Peltier plate for my heating needs?

When choosing a Peltier plate, it is important to consider the cooling capacity, maximum temperature difference, and power requirements. These specifications will vary depending on the application, so it is best to consult with a supplier or do thorough research before making a decision.

5. Are Peltier plates safe to use for heating?

Yes, Peltier plates are generally safe to use for heating as they do not produce any open flames or emit harmful gases. However, caution should be taken when handling the plates as they can get hot on one side and cold on the other. It is also important to properly insulate the plates to avoid any accidental burns.