What thick plate of plexi I need for my vacuumchamber

• Thread starter emile1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plate
In summary, the conversation is about building a vacuum chamber for degassing substances. The person is using a cooking pot as the chamber and wants to know what thickness of plexiglass or acrylic is needed for the lid. They also mention using a 3-5CFM pump and provide a link to a similar vacuum chamber for reference. Another user suggests buying a pre-made cylindrical vacuum vessel instead of risking injury by building their own.
emile1990
Hello,

I would like to build a Vacuum chamber for -29Hg(-1bar).
The Chamber that I'll be using will be 0.157 icnhes(4mm) cooking pot.
Diameter around 10'' and 9'' tall. I also want to heat up to chamber between 100-160F(40-70 Celcius).
The chamber will be used for degassing Buthane out of a substance and for degassing silicones etc...

As I look on the internet allot of people use Plexiglass(acryl).
I was wondering how thick of a plate I would need to use for the lid of the chamber and does it mater
if it's square of circle ?

This is what I would like it to look like:

http://www.bestvaluevacs.com/3gvac.html

I hope some one could tell me.

I'll be using a 3-5CFM pump 2 stage 150< micron

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a complex stress analysis problem due to the "cooking pot" geometry.
The biggest problem I see is: Plexiglas is NOT the same as Acrylic. Plexiglas is tough, will not shatter, and is expensive. Acrylic is brittle, shatters, and is inexpensive. Tread carefully through this minefield laddie, there be beasties lurking about. I'd suggest your wall thickness needs to increase substantially. And be sure you are wearing protective eyewear. Maybe even a flak jacket.

There are cylindrical vacuum vessels available from lab equipment supply vendors. Perhaps you should look into it.

Likes CalcNerd
Locked for moderation.

Thread will remain locked as a dangerous discussion violation.

Here is some good advice from one of the PF users who reported this thread as a dangerous discussion:

That one for sale is $115. Buy it instead of cobbling together your own. Surely a finger or an eye is worth $115?

Related to What thick plate of plexi I need for my vacuumchamber

1. What is plexiglass and why is it used in vacuum chambers?

Plexiglass, also known as acrylic, is a type of plastic that is commonly used in vacuum chambers due to its strength, transparency, and ability to withstand high temperatures and pressure. It is also chemically inert, making it suitable for use in various scientific experiments and processes.

2. How thick should the plexiglass plate be for my specific vacuum chamber?

The thickness of the plexiglass plate needed for a vacuum chamber depends on several factors, such as the size of the chamber, the level of vacuum needed, and the type of experiments or processes that will be conducted inside the chamber. It is important to consult with a professional or reference industry standards to determine the appropriate thickness for your specific needs.

3. Can I use regular glass instead of plexiglass for my vacuum chamber?

No, regular glass is not suitable for use in vacuum chambers as it is more brittle and can shatter under high pressure and vacuum. Plexiglass is a better choice as it is more durable and less likely to break, ensuring the safety of the chamber and its contents.

4. Is there a maximum thickness for plexiglass plates in vacuum chambers?

Yes, there is a maximum thickness for plexiglass plates in vacuum chambers. As the thickness increases, the weight of the plate also increases, which can put strain on the chamber's structure. It is important to consider the weight and dimensions of the plate when determining its thickness for a vacuum chamber.

5. How do I ensure that the plexiglass plate is properly sealed in my vacuum chamber?

Proper sealing of the plexiglass plate in a vacuum chamber is crucial to maintain the desired level of vacuum. This can be achieved by using high-quality gaskets and sealing materials, ensuring that the plate is securely attached to the chamber, and regularly checking for any leaks or damages. It is recommended to consult with a professional for guidance on proper sealing techniques.