Using pascal's triangle and standard form

In summary, Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers that follows a specific pattern and is named after the French mathematician Blaise Pascal. It has various applications in mathematics, computer science, and coding, including the calculation of binomial coefficients and writing numbers in standard form. It can also be used for finding patterns, solving equations, and creating visual designs, and has inspired fields such as music theory, art, and literature.
jamster49

Homework Statement

If z = 4 + i and w = -2 +2i, determine (z+w)5 using Pascal’s Triangle and standard form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
?? (z+w)5= 5z+ 5w which has nothing to do with Pascal's triangle. Did you mean (z+ w)^i?

The first thing I would do is write z+ w= 4+i- 2+ 2i= 2- i.

so (z+ w)^5= (2- i)^5. Now, Pascal's triangle gives the coefficients for binomials of the form (a+ b)^n. In particular, the 5 th row of Pascal's triangle gives the coefficients for (a+ b)^5. Write that out, and remember that i^2= -1.

Related to Using pascal's triangle and standard form

1. What is Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers that follows a specific pattern. Each number in the triangle is the sum of the two numbers directly above it. It is named after the French mathematician Blaise Pascal.

2. How is Pascal's triangle used?

Pascal's triangle has various applications in mathematics, including the calculation of binomial coefficients, probability, and the expansion of binomials. It is also used in computer science and coding for various algorithms and data structures.

3. What is standard form in math?

In mathematics, standard form refers to a way of writing numbers that is easily readable and comparable. It is written in the form of A x 10^B, where A is a number between 1 and 10 and B is an integer. This form is particularly useful for expressing very large or very small numbers.

4. How can Pascal's triangle be used to write numbers in standard form?

The numbers in each row of Pascal's triangle can be used to write numbers in standard form. For example, if we want to write 560,000 in standard form, we can look at the 6th row of Pascal's triangle and see that the numbers are 1, 5, 10, 10, 5, 1. We can write 560,000 as 5.6 x 10^5, where 5.6 is the first two numbers in the row and 5 is the index of the number 1 in the row.

5. Can Pascal's triangle be used for any other purposes?

Yes, Pascal's triangle has many other interesting properties and applications. For example, it can be used to find patterns in numbers, solve certain types of equations, and even create beautiful visual designs. It is also used in music theory, art, and literature as a source of inspiration.