Using parametric differentiation to evaluate the slope of a curve - attempted

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the point and slope of a line tangent to an ellipse at the point t=1. The equations for x(t) and y(t) are given, and the Quotient rule is used to find dx/dt and dy/dx. The point (0,1) is found when t=1 and the slope is determined to be 0 at that point, which corresponds to a horizontal tangent line.
chuffy

Homework Statement

x(t) = (t^2 -1) / (t^2 +1)

y(t) = (2t) / (t^2 +1)

at the point t=1

Homework Equations

Line equation = y-y1 = m(x-x1)

chan rule = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) = dy/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the y1 and x1 values by subing in t=1 to the x(t) and y(t) equations
I get the point (0,1) when t=1

I have used the Quotient rule to find dx/dt & dy/dx (Is this right?)
Doing the above I get:

dy/dt = (-2(t^2 -1)) / (t^2+1)^2

dx/dt = (4t) / (t^2 +1)^2

So dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt) however when I sub in t=1 to (dy/dt) I get 0 as the numerator

I know that the m of the line equation is equal to dy/dx

does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'll try uploading a pic of my work
cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
pic of my working

Attachments

• IMG_20130207_190038.jpg
    IMG_20130207_190038.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 359
What makes you think something is wrong? have you plotted the x v y graph for t having a range of values? say t=-1, 0, 1, 2, 3

if t=1 does this mean that m= 0?

The graph of this function is an ellipse. t= 1 is the point (0, 1) where the tangent line is, in fact, horizontal so the dy/dx= 0 there.

Attachments

• ellipse.jpeg
    ellipse.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 407

cheers

Related to Using parametric differentiation to evaluate the slope of a curve - attempted

What is parametric differentiation?

Parametric differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is defined in terms of one or more parameters instead of just variables.

What is the purpose of using parametric differentiation?

The purpose of using parametric differentiation is to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the steps involved in using parametric differentiation?

The first step is to identify the given function in terms of parameters. Then, use the chain rule to find the derivatives of each variable with respect to the parameters. Finally, substitute the values of the parameters to find the slope of the curve at the desired point.

What are some common applications of parametric differentiation?

Parametric differentiation is commonly used in physics to calculate velocity and acceleration of moving objects, in engineering to optimize designs and analyze motion, and in economics to model relationships between variables.

What are the limitations of using parametric differentiation?

One limitation is that it can only be used for functions that are defined in terms of parameters. It may also be more complex and time-consuming compared to other methods of finding derivatives. Additionally, it may not always provide an accurate representation of the slope of a curve due to the limitations of mathematical models.