Using one-sided axioms to show <G,*> is a group

In summary, this proof shows that the right inverse of each element in a group is also the right inverse of the group.
eq1

Homework Statement

Prove that a set G, together with a binary operation * on G, satisfying the
following three axioms:
A1) The binary operation * on G is associative
A2) There exists a left identity element e in G such that e*x=x for all x in G
A3) For each a in G, there exists a left inverse a' in G such that a'*a=e
is a group

Homework Equations

Our definition of a group:

A group is a set G, and a closed binary operation * on G, such that
the following axioms are satisfied:
G1) * is associative on G
G2) There is an element e in G such that for all x in G
x*e = e*x = x (existence of an identity element e for *)
G3) Corresponding to each a in G there is an element a' in G such that
a*a' = a'*a = e (existence of inverse a' of a)

The Attempt at a Solution

G1, is given by A1

By A2 we know e*x=x for all x in G.
We must show x*e=x for all x in G to finish proving G2.

x*e=x, what is to be proved
x'*(x*e)=x'*x, we know x' exists from A3, existence of inverse
(x'*x)*e=e, using A1, associativity
e*e=e, using A3, existence of inverse
e=e, therefore x*e=x for x in G proving G2 holds.

By A3 we know there exists x' in G such that x'*x=e for all x in G.
We must show x*x'=e for all x in G to finish proving G3.

x*x'=e, what is to be proved
(x'*x)*x'=x'*e, using A1, associativity
e*x'=x', using the above theorem
x'=x', therefore x*x'=e for x in G proving G3 hold.

Therefore the set G, together with a binary operation * on G, satisfying
A1, A2 and A3 is a group.

4. My questions

Does ending with the e=e statement or x'=x' statement show the original statement holds? Since it ends up with LHS=RHS I think it does but maybe I should try to string statements in the form e*x = ... = x*e although I am not sure why that would be better. I guess it is just what I am used to seeing.

Also, I skipped the part about the binary operation being closed for a group. Kind of important, I know. I think (hope) it was indirectly mentioned in the axioms when it was stated * in associative -on- G. Is this correct or is it something I will also need to prove? If so, any ideas?

Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Does ending with the e=e statement or x'=x' statement show the original statement holds?"

No, you've only shown that e=e and x'=x'...profound statements but not what you set out to show. Here's a hint: x' is in G so x' also has a left inverse...what is it?

As for the closure, I am unsure. I don't see how one could show the operation is closed without more information about the nature of the group.

Doesn't the phrase "binary operation on G" (as opposed to "binary operation from G to H") imply the operation always gives a value in G? In other words, can't you take closure as "given" by the hypotheses?

mcampbell,
I think understand what you are trying to tell me and unfortunately I don't think I even showed e=e and x'=x' since I started from unproved statements. I'll work with your suggestion now and see what I can come up with.

HallsofIvy,
I was thinking that too but I wasn't positive. Specifically I wasn't sure if on and onto were equivalent. I kind of suspected they were as my text seems to use it that way, but it doesn't explicity state it.

Thank you guys for the replies.

It's not hard, but you got to start at the right place or you're going to try for a long god damn time. The right place to start is first with the inverse business. You're going to try to show that the left inverse of each element in also a right inverse. And for this, you're going to start with the equation

a*a'=a*e*a'

Then showing the left identity is also a right identity is easy.

Wow quasar987, you were not kidding about the long god damn time. I spun on this for almost two hours. But when I combined your approach and mcampbell's approach I think I have a proof that works.

Proof of right inverse

As x' is in G by A3 there exists an inverse, say x'', such that x''*x'=e

Thus x'*x = e, and x''*x'=e
setting them equal to each other
x' * x = x'' * x'
x' * x = x'' * e * x'
x' * x = x'' * x' * x * x'
x' * x = e * x * x', by associativity and left identity
x' * x = x * x' = e

And the right identity follows easily.
Thank you guys so much. This problem is going to give me nightmares. So simple but so hard at the same time.

Related to Using one-sided axioms to show <G,*> is a group

1. What are axioms in mathematics?

Axioms are statements or principles that are accepted without proof and serve as the basis for mathematical reasoning. They are considered to be self-evident and are used to establish the truth of other statements or theorems.

2. How do one-sided axioms relate to group theory?

In group theory, one-sided axioms are used to prove that a set with a binary operation is a group. These axioms only require the operation to be associative and have an identity element, rather than also requiring inverse elements as in the traditional definition of a group.

3. What is the significance of using one-sided axioms to show a set is a group?

Using one-sided axioms allows for a more general definition of a group, as it does not require the existence of inverse elements. This can make proving a set is a group easier and more efficient, as it only requires the satisfaction of two axioms rather than four.

4. Can any set with a binary operation be shown to be a group using one-sided axioms?

No, not every set with a binary operation can be proven to be a group using one-sided axioms. The set must still satisfy the closure property, meaning that the operation must always produce an element within the set, in order to be considered a group.

5. How does the existence of a left identity element differ from a right identity element in one-sided axioms?

In one-sided axioms, the left identity element means that for any element in the set, the operation with the left identity element will result in that same element. Similarly, the right identity element means that for any element in the set, the operation with the right identity element will result in that same element. This differs from traditional group theory, where the identity element must be both a left and right identity element.