Using Norton Ghost to Copy VM Setup?

In summary, a VM can be copied from one machine to another by exporting the VM image and then importing it on the new machine.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
There is a VM setup at work that I would like to copy into my home PC. Would Norton Ghost be able to do the job? Are there other ways ( A VPN is not an option, just in case)? I am just curious, since the VM is itself just software, why is it not possible to just save it as a file and upload it ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi all,
There is a VM setup at work that I would like to copy into my home PC. Would Norton Ghost be able to do the job? Are there other ways ( A VPN is not an option, just in case)? I am just curious
, since the VM is itself just software, why is it not possible to just save it as a file and upload it ?
Modern software is never just a file. Applications, as part of their installation process, (1) put things in the registry and (2) have a registration process that requires a password (or "key"). Just copying the application's executable and ancillary files and dumping them onto a different computer, will do neither of those things. If what you are asking was possible, a great many people would never pay for any applications, they would just bootleg them.

Likes WWGD
phinds said:
Modern software is never just a file. Applications, as part of their installation process, (1) put things in the registry and (2) have a registration process that requires a password (or "key"). Just copying the application's executable and ancillary files and dumping them onto a different computer, will do neither of those things. If what you are asking was possible, a great many people would never pay for any applications, they would just bootleg them.
Thanks. You're pretty smart for a cute furry dog ;).

Last edited:
Likes phinds
WWGD said:
Hi all,
There is a VM setup at work that I would like to copy into my home PC. Would Norton Ghost be able to do the job? Are there other ways ( A VPN is not an option, just in case)? I am just curious, since the VM is itself just software, why is it not possible to just save it as a file and upload it ?
You shouldn't need to use imaging software to simply copy a VM, should just be able to shut the VM off and export it to .OVA/.OVF (if using VMware). If you can't find a VM export option, just copy the VM directory (includes all the configuration data and virtual disks) to a USB drive and save to the destination computer running the same VM software.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Thanks. You're pretty smart for a cute furry dog ;).

Is this a massive shaggy dog compliment or what?

Related to Using Norton Ghost to Copy VM Setup?

1. What is Norton Ghost and how does it work?

Norton Ghost is a disk cloning and backup software that allows users to create an exact copy of a computer's hard drive or virtual machine setup. It works by taking a snapshot of the system at a specific time and creating an image file which can be used to restore the system to that exact state at a later time.

2. Can Norton Ghost be used to copy a virtual machine setup?

Yes, Norton Ghost can be used to copy a virtual machine setup. It supports a variety of virtual machine formats, including VMware, Hyper-V, and VirtualBox, making it a versatile tool for cloning and backing up virtual machines.

3. What are the benefits of using Norton Ghost to copy a VM setup?

There are several benefits to using Norton Ghost to copy a VM setup. Firstly, it allows for a quick and easy way to create backups of important virtual machines. It also allows for the easy migration of virtual machines to different systems or servers. Additionally, it provides a reliable and efficient way to create multiple identical virtual machines for testing or development purposes.

4. Are there any limitations to using Norton Ghost for copying VM setups?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Norton Ghost for copying VM setups. The software is not compatible with all types of virtual machines, so it's important to check if your particular setup is supported. Additionally, the size of the image file created can be quite large, which may be a limitation for those with limited storage space.

5. Do I need any special technical knowledge to use Norton Ghost for copying VM setups?

No, you do not need any special technical knowledge to use Norton Ghost for copying VM setups. The software has a user-friendly interface and provides step-by-step instructions for creating and restoring virtual machine images. However, basic knowledge of virtual machines and their setups may be helpful in understanding the process and troubleshooting any issues that may arise.