Using Maxwell SV for Ion Engines

In summary: Overall, it seems that the best course of action would be to seek assistance from those who have more experience with the program and its capabilities. In summary, if you are having trouble saving and extracting plot information from Maxwell SV, it may be helpful to reach out to the developers and previous students for guidance.
jlcaldwell82
I had a question about the Maxwell SV program and was hopping someone might be able to answer it for me. Using the Maxwell program I have made a whole bunch of different cases of magnet geometries for an 8cm Ion Engine and they all seem to be good. The only problem is that when I try save the plots information I either get unreadable files or files I can open in excel but it are not of any use to me because the data isn’t in any format that can be used to extract various gauss lines. I was hopping you might know how to get the plot information out of Maxwell and into a text file or even excel in a data fashion that MATLAB could then use to get various gauss lines in terms of x and y coordinates. I know that there is a way to do this because a previous student’s work on this had output files that were useable from there plots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I do not have a specific answer to your question as I am not familiar with Maxwell SV. However, I would suggest reaching out to the developers of the software directly for help with this issue as they may have a better understanding of how the data is saved and how to get it into the format you need for MATLAB. Additionally, you may want to contact the previous student who worked on this project and see if they can provide any insight on how they managed to get the data into the desired format.

Related to Using Maxwell SV for Ion Engines

1. What is Maxwell SV and how does it relate to ion engines?

Maxwell SV is a software that simulates the performance of ion engines. It calculates the thrust, specific impulse, and other important parameters of an ion engine based on its design and operating conditions.

2. Can Maxwell SV be used for all types of ion engines?

Yes, Maxwell SV can be used for all types of ion engines, including gridded and gridless designs. It can also simulate different propellant types, such as xenon, krypton, and argon.

3. What are the advantages of using Maxwell SV for ion engine design?

Maxwell SV allows for quick and accurate performance predictions of ion engines, which can help in the design optimization process. It also provides a visualization of the ion beam and other important parameters, aiding in understanding the engine's behavior.

4. Is Maxwell SV user-friendly for beginners?

While some basic knowledge of ion engines and simulation software is required, Maxwell SV has a user-friendly interface and provides detailed instructions for setting up simulations. It also has a comprehensive user manual for reference.

5. Can Maxwell SV be used for real-time monitoring of ion engine performance?

No, Maxwell SV is a simulation software and is not designed for real-time monitoring of ion engine performance. It is best used for predicting the performance of an ion engine before and during its design process.