Using Kepler's Law to find speed of a comet in orbit

In summary, the speed of a comet when it is at a distance of 5.9×1010 from the center of the sun is 4.93x104 meters per second.
johannaposey
Comets travel around the sun in elliptical orbits with large eccentricities. If a comet has speed 2.5×104 when at a distance of 2.3×1011 from the center of the sun, what is its speed when at a distance of 5.9×1010 .
Using Kepler's Law T2 is proportional to R3
T2/R3 is a constant (C)
-->T= (2*[itex]\pi[/itex]*R)/v -->T2= (4*[itex]\pi[/itex]2*R2)/v2

therefore
C= (4*[itex]\pi[/itex]2)/(R*v2)

since
4*[itex]\pi[/itex]2 is a constant C= 1/(R*v2)

therefore
R1*(v1)2=R2*(v2)2

Plugging in the variables, I got 4.93x104, but that answer was wrong. Why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johannaposey said:
Comets travel around the sun in elliptical orbits with large eccentricities. If a comet has speed 2.5×104 when at a distance of 2.3×1011 from the center of the sun, what is its speed when at a distance of 5.9×1010 .

Using Kepler's Law T2 is proportional to R3
T2/R3 is a constant (K)
-->T= (2*[itex]\pi[/itex]*R)/v -->T2= (4*[itex]\pi[/itex]2*R2)/v2

therefore
K= (4*[itex]\pi[/itex]2)/(R*v2)

since
4*[itex]\pi[/itex]2 is a constant K= 1/(R*v2)

therefore
R1*(v1)2=R2*(v2)2

Plugging in the variables, I got 4.93x104, but that answer was wrong. Why?
Hello johannaposey. Welcome to PF !

Aren't there three of Kepler's Laws ?

The one you used relates the period for the whole orbit and the orbits average distance from the Sun.

You have information regarding the comet at two particular places in its orbit. Use one of the other two laws.

Also, what are the units? Furlongs and fortnights? Always be sure to specify the units!

Every distance is in meters. I assume I will need to use Kepler's second law (stating that a line joining the planet and the sun sweeps out equal areas during a time interval). Is this right? If it is how do I use it. I don't have the orbital velocity.

Does the problem statement specifically direct you to use Kepler's laws to to solve it? I'd be more inclined to look at conservation of energy.

I tried conservation of energy, but got stuck. I tried U1=K1+K2+U2 Where U1 is the potential energy of the system at the beginning (Gm1m2/r1) K1 is the kinetic energy of the smaller mass (1/2 m1v1^2) K2 is the kinetic energy of the larger mass (1/2 m2v2^2) and U2 is the potential energy at the second radius (Gm1m2/r2). After I did that tI had two unknowns v1 and v2.

johannaposey said:
I tried conservation of energy, but got stuck. I tried U1=K1+K2+U2 Where U1 is the potential energy of the system at the beginning (Gm1m2/r1) K1 is the kinetic energy of the smaller mass (1/2 m1v1^2) K2 is the kinetic energy of the larger mass (1/2 m2v2^2) and U2 is the potential energy at the second radius (Gm1m2/r2). After I did that tI had two unknowns v1 and v2.

You only need to consider the KE and PE of the comet; the Sun is taken to be a stationary object since its mass is much, much greater than that of the body in orbit. If m is the comet's mass and M the Sun's mass, then what is called the 'specific mechanical energy' for the orbit is given by
$$\xi = \frac{v^2}{2} - \frac{G M}{r}$$
and is a constant of the motion.

Oops! I was getting two questions confused. I don't know why I didn't try that earlier. I've got the right answer now. Thank you!

johannaposey said:
Oops! I was getting two questions confused. I don't know why I didn't try that earlier. I've got the right answer now. Thank you!
What did you get for the answer?

Related to Using Kepler's Law to find speed of a comet in orbit

1. What are Kepler's Laws and how do they relate to the speed of a comet in orbit?

Kepler's Laws are three scientific principles that describe the motion of objects in orbit around a central body, such as a planet or star. The third law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. This means that by knowing the period of a comet's orbit and the size of its orbit, we can calculate its speed using this formula: v = 2πr / T, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the orbit, and T is the period of the orbit.

2. How is the period of a comet's orbit determined?

The period of a comet's orbit can be determined by observing its movement over time and measuring the time it takes for the comet to complete one full orbit around the sun. This can be done using telescopes and other astronomical instruments.

3. What is the semi-major axis of a comet's orbit?

The semi-major axis is one half of the longest diameter of an elliptical orbit. It is a measure of the size of an orbit and is used in Kepler's third law to calculate the speed of an object in orbit.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the speed of a comet in orbit?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the speed of a comet in orbit, such as the gravitational pull of other bodies in the solar system and the shape of the comet's orbit. However, when using Kepler's third law, these factors are not taken into account and the calculated speed is an idealized value.

5. Can Kepler's Law be used to calculate the speed of any object in orbit?

Yes, Kepler's Law can be applied to any object in orbit around a central body, as long as the period and semi-major axis of the orbit are known. This includes not only comets, but also planets, moons, and artificial satellites.