Using interpolants to solve a polynomial.

• Thread starter riddle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation is about using linear interpolation to find a root of the equation x3 - 3x - 5 = 0 within the interval [2, 3]. The person encountered some confusion with their calculations, but after discussing and checking their work, they were able to understand the concept and find the correct approximation for the root. They also questioned if the publishers made a mistake in their book, but were advised to double check when they have the book again in the future.
riddle

Homework Statement

Show that a root of the equation x3 - 3x - 5 =0 lies in the interval [2,3], and then find the root using linear interpolation correct to one decimal place.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first ever time using interpolants ( well at least in the sense of solving a polynomial. I think I've used them before... but instinctively.)

This is what I did:
3 [tex]\div[/tex] 13 = (x1 - 2) [tex]\div[/tex] (3-x1)
to end up with x1 = 2.1875.
I went on to get the third approximation only to find out that it was outside the range (less than 2).
I checked what the solution said, and it said:
3 [tex]\div[/tex] 13 = (3-x1) [tex]\div[/tex] (x1 - 2)

I'm utterly confused. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing your problem asked was to show that there was a root of your function between x = 2 and x = 3. Did you do that? And how did you do it?

Your x1 looks OK, and it is between 2 and 3. Did you check whether you got lucky and x1 is your root? If it isn't, then how do you know whether the root is in [2, x1] or in [x1, 3]? You have to know that in order to know which interval to do the next step with.

Oh. I forgot to mention that I'd got the first part. Yes. The root is in between 2 and 3.
I just substituted "x" with 3 and 2 and saw that f(3) / f(2) = -s. i.e., the sign changed, so there had to have had been a number which had f(x) = 0, i.e., the root of the equation.
My first approximation is different from what the book says, the same with all my further approximations. I thought that it might have been a typo, but then I couldn't do the other questions either, and in the end I checked to see if the answers that the book gave worked, and they did. So there's got to be something wrong in what I'm doing.

riddle said:
Oh. I forgot to mention that I'd got the first part. Yes. The root is in between 2 and 3.
I just substituted "x" with 3 and 2 and saw that f(3) / f(2) = -s. i.e., the sign changed, so there had to have had been a number which had f(x) = 0, i.e., the root of the equation.
My first approximation is different from what the book says, the same with all my further approximations. I thought that it might have been a typo, but then I couldn't do the other questions either, and in the end I checked to see if the answers that the book gave worked, and they did. So there's got to be something wrong in what I'm doing.

Your first approximation for x1 of 35/16=2.1875 is correct. The value of the function at that point is negative so you want to use x = 2.1875 and x = 3 for your calculation of x2. I get 2.250619230 for it.

Ok. I'm getting the same thing.
I understand how this works now. But I'm still having trouble believing that the publishers messed up so bad. Can you just have a look at what they did. I'm really tired right now, and I won't be able to use the book for a week or two so I won't be able to look at it later.

Attachments

• interpolation.jpg
    interpolation.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 399

Related to Using interpolants to solve a polynomial.

1. What are interpolants and how are they used to solve a polynomial?

Interpolants are mathematical tools that are used to approximate the value of a function at a given point using its known values at other points. In the context of solving a polynomial, interpolants are used to find the missing coefficients of a polynomial equation by using a set of known points on the polynomial curve.

2. How do interpolants differ from other methods of solving polynomials?

Interpolants are different from other methods of solving polynomials such as factoring or using the quadratic formula, as they do not require you to know the exact form of the polynomial equation. Instead, they use a set of known points on the curve to approximate the missing coefficients.

3. Can interpolants be used to solve any type of polynomial equation?

Yes, interpolants can be used to solve any type of polynomial equation, whether it is a linear, quadratic, cubic, or higher degree polynomial. The accuracy of the solution will depend on the number and distribution of known points on the curve.

4. Are there any limitations to using interpolants to solve polynomials?

One limitation of using interpolants to solve polynomials is that the accuracy of the solution can be affected by the presence of outliers or errors in the known points. Additionally, if there are not enough known points on the curve, the solution may not be accurate.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using interpolants to solve polynomials?

Yes, interpolants have various real-world applications, such as in finance, where they are used to model stock prices or interest rates, and in computer graphics, where they are used to create smooth curves and surfaces. They are also used in scientific and engineering fields to approximate data and make predictions.