Using integrals to calculate arc length

In summary, the definite integral of (1+(d/dx)^2)^.5 can be difficult to solve when the derivative is incorrect. However, by following these steps, it can be done smoothly.
Pascal's Pal

Homework Statement

Just started Calc II last month, it's been smooth so far but I've run into a bit of snag involving the application of integrals in the calculation of arc length.

The formula you use is the definite integral of (1+(d/dx)^2)^.5.

Often once you derive the d/dx and square it, you're left with a somewhat nasty looking equation under the radical. Deriving this square root is what's giving me the trouble. Is there any particular technique?

Here's one example:

Y= ((x^4)/8) + 1/4x^2, In the interval [1,2]

Y'= (x^3)/2 - 1/2x

The Attempt at a Solution

(1+(x^(3/2) - 1/2x)^2)^.5

I need to integrate this from 1 to 2, but how does can one easily transform ut into an integrable form using algebra!

EDIT: I should mention that the textbook indicated that integrals involving arc lentgh are "often very difficult to evaluate" yet proceeded to present examples where such integration was smoothly carried out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
y' is wrong , the derivative of 1/4x^2 is -1/2x^3

ziad1985 said:
y' is wrong , the derivative of 1/4x^2 is -1/2x^3
Er, you need to subtract 1 from the exponent. What you did is wrong. You'll get x/2.

if it was (1/4)x^2 i would be wrong
but if you notice he wrote:
Y= ((x^4)/8) + 1/4x^2
Y'= (x^3)/2 - 1/2x
the nagative sign for 1/2x seem to mean he have 1/(4*x) and derived it wrong
that's how i saw it..
anyway however you look at it he did a mistake , whether it was the derivation it self , or putting a minus from no where..

Last edited:
if

[itex]y = \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^2}{4}[/itex]

then

[itex]y' = \frac{x^3}{2} + \frac{x}{2}[/itex].

BTW taking it as (1/(4*x^2)) makes the integral very easy to solve.
But we need his input on this..

Sometimes I guess it helps to reassess your assumptions...

I did indeed have the derivative wrong, which is why the integral was giving me such a hard time:redface: . But I solved it, so thanks for the help! :smile:

These were my steps:

d/dx = (x^3)/2 -1/2x^3

You take out the one half and you get: (1/2)(X^3 - 1/x^3)

Now you square it, and you get: (1/4)(X^6 - 2 + 1/x^6)

It is this plus 1 that we take the square root of, so we incorpate the 1 by adding four to the product (balanced out by (1/4)) so new your radical looks like: ((1/4)(X^6 + 2 + 1/x^6))^.5

which equals: (1/2)((X^3)+(1/X^3))

integral is (X^4)/8 - 1/4x^2) from one to two, final answer 33/16...

Related to Using integrals to calculate arc length

1. What is the formula for calculating arc length using integrals?

The formula for calculating arc length using integrals is L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where L represents the length of the arc, dy/dx represents the derivative of the function, and the integral is taken over the interval of the arc.

2. Can integrals be used to calculate the arc length of any curve?

Yes, integrals can be used to calculate the arc length of any curve, as long as the curve can be represented by a continuous function.

3. How does the number of intervals used in the integral affect the accuracy of the arc length calculation?

The more intervals used in the integral, the more accurate the arc length calculation will be. This is because using more intervals allows for a more precise approximation of the curve, resulting in a more accurate calculation of the arc length.

4. Is it possible to calculate the arc length of a curve without using integrals?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the arc length of a curve without using integrals. This can be done by approximating the curve with straight lines and using basic geometry formulas, but this method may not be as accurate as using integrals.

5. What are some real-world applications of using integrals to calculate arc length?

Integrals are commonly used in engineering, physics, and other fields to calculate the arc length of curves. For example, in engineering, the arc length of a bridge or road can be calculated to determine the amount of material needed for construction. In physics, integrals are used to calculate the distance traveled by an object along a curved path.